Tank Cracked. Any recommendations?

Monney00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I was cleaning the glass and found some salt build up. Further investigation and I found quite a crack
91EEC749-CFD5-4BA6-9438-05C616975E42.jpeg

The crack is leaking, so I assume it’s a “Do not pass go, get a new tank” kind of thing. Its a relatively new (1 year or so) SC Aquariumstar fire 150 gallon.

Any tips on limping this one along until I get a new tank delivered? Further, any recommendations for a new tank that will sit on my 60” by 24” stand?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's quite a crack. It's definitely a "Do not pass go, get a new tank, install a leak sensor" kind of thing. You could try Gorilla Glue, but I'd be hesitant to mess around with it for fear of turning a leak into a deluge. In a pinch, those black Rubbermaid livestock troughs are essentially bulletproof and can probably lifeboat you through draining and removing everything while you arrange for a new tank. They're not cheap - but they're less expensive than a new tank (I think the 50-gallon I got was around $125).

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geeesh. So sorry.

I would drain ASAP and @blaxsun has the right idea. If there's a Tractor Supply near you, you can get a 100g stock tank for $99. The one near me always has them in stock. I've heard the included bulkhead and drain is not the greatest though, just a heads up.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I was cleaning the glass and found some salt build up. Further investigation and I found quite a crack
91EEC749-CFD5-4BA6-9438-05C616975E42.jpeg

The crack is leaking, so I assume it’s a “Do not pass go, get a new tank” kind of thing. Its a relatively new (1 year or so) SC Aquariumstar fire 150 gallon.

Any tips on limping this one along until I get a new tank delivered? Further, any recommendations for a new tank that will sit on my 60” by 24” stand?
Teams can crack for many reasons. Or if them is the stand or being crooked. I don't know what kind of stand you have, but make sure it's not contributing to the problem before you reuse it.

mynd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get one of these quick or something close to it.. drop in a heater, transfer everything from the tank gently put it some place you can also put your lights over it and then I would get a new tank ASAP.. I strongly urge you that you do this quickly and slowly.. If that dang thing breaks outright and you are near it or anyone else for that matter it could do some real damage.

Rubbermaid Farm Tough 150 Gallon Stock Tank - FG424500 BLA​

Good luck! Get it done and get it done quick to save your stock. You are going to lose some stuff while you wait, but if done quick enough the losses should be minimal.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t waste any time and use a stock tank as recommended above. It will help you avoid a worse problem like damage to you home with a flood

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look into one of those Rubbermaid troughs as a temporary/interim measure so you could start transferring stuff out?
Nooo. I don't have an SCA tank, I only have a 30g. I stumbled upon this thread investigating the quality of SCA tanks and was seeking an update from OP on this situation. Sorry for confusion >__<

OP
OP
Monney00

Monney00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the tank crack, looks like a defect in the stand I built. The plywood had a small void which was lined up with the rear right corner of the stand. It appears that this wood compressed and put a strange flex/strain on the corner panel and caused the crack. Back luck for sure, but appear to be a support issue as opposed to a tank issue.

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the tank crack, looks like a defect in the stand I built. The plywood had a small void which was lined up with the rear right corner of the stand. It appears that this wood compressed and put a strange flex/strain on the corner panel and caused the crack. Back luck for sure, but appear to be a support issue as opposed to a tank issue.
Great, I appreciate your honesty and coming back and updating with a prognosis! :) At least it wasn't a full tank blowout... Been reading up on those nightmare stories.

OP
OP
Monney00

Monney00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I appreciate your honesty and coming back and updating with a prognosis! :) At least it wasn't a full tank blowout... Been reading up on those nightmare stories.
Just to give a bit more visual, here is a photo. You can see exactly where the plywood compacted/collapsed and how the rear corner of the glass was unsupported. Definitely had some weird stress on the spot. Just happy I caught it before total failure, the crack was growing about an inch a day.
51B78C26-CAC0-4F5C-A3D5-0EC676A1E9D3.jpeg

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lord, that's nightmarish. I had a crack just like that on a 50-gallon Oscar setup, years ago, that just appeared and split without warning, flooded the entire aquarium room on the second floor. Thank goodness my parents had the foresight to install plastic wall-to-wall carpeting for just such an eventuality. But we still ended up building a dam of carpets at the door threshold!

I don't even want to imagine that happening on a 150 gallon! :eek:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back