Tank cracked - two questions-

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background. The day before vacation ( thank God) I came downstairs and there was water all over our family room floor. ( tile). Upon inspection the 24 gallon cube fish tank had a crack and was slowly leaking out. My family kicked into gear and we quickly moved all rock into aerated and heated buckets. All corals and fish were moved into numerous QT tanks.

while in the QT tank my green toadstool flopped over and must have touched the heater. It is the only injury sustained in the tank break.

2 questions:
Q:1
One week later my toadstool’s head is smaller- it sloughed off a section that was burnt. It now has an area that is wounded but doesn’t look like necrosis. (?) Just evidence of tearing. I have the toadstool in high flow to help with healing. It head is leaning over and resting on a rock I provided for support. It’s head does open with green during the day.

q: is there anything to be concerned about?

Q:2 ( this one is fun- seed of opportunity in the adversity)
I bought a larger 29 gallon QT as temporary housing and reset up the tank including I was able to save about 15 gallons of my original water, most sand but all the biology in the back of the tank media was lost in the tank break.
Been battling slight Ammonia with 25-33% water changes. Tank is going through cycle but with livestock and corals…. So far everyone is ok… slight algae breakout but would expect that with all the biology changing.

q: I don’t want to get a large tank ( have done that 20 years ago)… but contemplating 40 gallon reef ready- want clean lines.
Please throw out you favorite tank options ( 40 gallons) $1800 budget max.

My goal is to give my tank family an amazing new home and reduce the work effort on my end. I have seen some of the new tanks coming with sumps, ATO etc.
I already have a 15 gal sump amd larger protein skimmer + kessil lighting anticipating a slight move up in size.

I figure best to get new tank soon so I don’t have to do new tank cycle over and over.

thanks I’m advance for your ideas!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two answers:
- Feel toadstool will recover
- Defer to others on tank recommendations

Keep your eyes open for used tank deals as people are coming out of COVID isolation and may be leaving hobby do to changing lifestyles OR they are up-sizing and don't have room for tank they are outgrowing. Craigslist, etc are great sources, as are local clubs because then you can go see and not pay shipping (where it could crack...)

SO GLAD you recovered from that as well as you did. What timing!!! Duct tape also helps slow leaks if ever you find something like that happen, though most of us never do.

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two answers:
- Feel toadstool will recover
- Defer to others on tank recommendations

Keep your eyes open for used tank deals as people are coming out of COVID isolation and may be leaving hobby do to changing lifestyles OR they are up-sizing and don't have room for tank they are outgrowing. Craigslist, etc are great sources, as are local clubs because then you can go see and not pay shipping (where it could crack...)

SO GLAD you recovered from that as well as you did. What timing!!! Duct tape also helps slow leaks if ever you find something like that happen, though most of us never do.

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duct tape- in action. Held glass together long enough to save all critters and siphon off water to use in new tank. Felt like McGuiver last week. A lot one can do with a paperclip and duct tape.

Attachments

• 18C78A88-2248-47A5-B06D-82A940C46EFA.jpeg
    18C78A88-2248-47A5-B06D-82A940C46EFA.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 7B4D5F0E-97CE-4ACC-B597-7C84D3488723.jpeg
    7B4D5F0E-97CE-4ACC-B597-7C84D3488723.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 76

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of options at that size but if you need something in a hurry, the 40g breader from petco is a common one to pick up. But they need an overflow installed.
Maybe your local fish store has some nice options?

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely watching FB marketplace, OfferUp etc. so far only some very worn old tanks.
At the beginning of Covid sold my 120 reef ready- beautiful stand and set up with sump $400…
There are some steals out there if it hits at the right time. Crossing fingers bit may need to go mew to getter done.

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of options at that size but if you need something in a hurry, the 40g breader from petco is a common one to pick up. But they need an overflow installed.
Maybe your local fish store has some nice options?
Thanks- the 40 gallon breeder is nice. Saw that when I picked up the 29 gallon temporary. Like the size and depth. Basically the right footprint for the future tank I am thinking of. Problem with the Aqueon tanks is the glass is very thin. With reef rock I would be hesitant to have the rock leaning on the glass.
I do have the 29 up now… no rock touching glass. Don’t want breakage…. Been there done that

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely watching FB marketplace, OfferUp etc. so far only some very worn old tanks.
At the beginning of Covid sold my 120 reef ready- beautiful stand and set up with sump $400…
There are some steals out there if it hits at the right time. Crossing fingers bit may need to go mew to getter done.
Oh definitely! And it pays to be patient or creative. I bought a 200 dollar 120g with no stand, she was ugly with two fat ugly pillar style overflows. After some elbow grease, time for mail to travel, I had a stunning tank ready for water. Even got me a little snazzy build thread badge.
Thicker is better, I believe the bottom tempered on Aqueon but definitely not the sides, which makes installing aftermarket overflows a little easier.
what state are you in? You may have a reef tank manufacturer near by.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldnt worry about aqueons glass thickness.
I saw a video of a 200# guy standing inside a 10g auqeon tank to prove its strength.
I wouldnt worry about the rocke either.
Ive had a 40 breeder for years and ive hit them on the inside of the glass hard enough to expect a crack with no issues.

The only thing i dont like about the glass is it bows a little bit.
Went with 1/2" on my new build to negate any glass flex.

In terms of new tanks to upgrade to....look into the innovative marine AIOs.
Clean and within your budget.

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh definitely! And it pays to be patient or creative. I bought a 200 dollar 120g with no stand, she was ugly with two fat ugly pillar style overflows. After some elbow grease, time for mail to travel, I had a stunning tank ready for water. Even got me a little snazzy build thread badge.
Thicker is better, I believe the bottom tempered on Aqueon but definitely not the sides, which makes installing aftermarket overflows a little easier.
what state are you in? You may have a reef tank manufacturer near by.
I am in Northern California- just outside of Napa.
Resources would be great.
Thanks!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Northern California- just outside of Napa.
Resources would be great.
Thanks!
SC Aquariums is out of California, they have pre built reef tanks and they do custom built tanks.
Beautiful tanks for a great price in their category

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of tank was the one that cracked here
JDL bio cube 24gal. With removed bio one top/ lights. Why they sell the bio cube with lid for salt???? Couldn’t keep PH up with lid. Made wood canopy when Midas goby jumped out of rimless. Had kessil a365 lighting on Shepard’s hook above. Was working great.
now lights are rigged above petco 29 sitting on fold out table until I figure out and purchase new tank.

Attachments

• 79A87023-0E2F-4B41-BC51-49EB7EBF5E92.jpeg
    79A87023-0E2F-4B41-BC51-49EB7EBF5E92.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JDL bio cube 24gal. With removed bio one top/ lights. Why they sell the bio cube with lid for salt???? Couldn’t keep PH up with lid. Made wood canopy when Midas goby jumped out of rimless. Had kessil a365 lighting on Shepard’s hook above. Was working great.
now lights are rigged above petco 29 sitting on fold out table until I figure out and purchase new tank.
Picture of toadstool pre injury.
Kessil light.

Attachments

• 83C43757-F12B-42F6-9A4D-136EA538A5B4.jpeg
    83C43757-F12B-42F6-9A4D-136EA538A5B4.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 2BFC2E86-C75C-4401-9AAD-D50FAAB71528.jpeg
    2BFC2E86-C75C-4401-9AAD-D50FAAB71528.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 48

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back