Tank crashed starting over

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 years of build up and an algae bloom followed by use of the Vibrant product my tank crashed hard and wiped out pretty much everything. I stripped the whole thing down and cleaned all of it and set back up. All new sand DSB this time 6". Just ordered a feeding station to help make sure food doesn't end up in corners and rotting. Also greatly reduced the amount of rock to try and make it easier to clean. I lost all my fish and probably won't add any for a while. Trying to save my various zoas and my Duncan. If looks like about half the Duncan died, hoping the rest recovers.

20180206_141204.jpg

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the crash....hopefully it's better this time around.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you were sick to your stomach when that happened. I know I would be.....

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is a pic of the algae infested mode with heavy biomass requiring that treatment (not in the one above/super sharp for sure)

the reason I ask this, is we've killed likely double the amnt of algae present you've had in peroxide threads and never lost one. I know the crash happened, but sourcing it isn't easy sometimes. I rate vibrant/algae loss as the least likely cause of all possibles. algae doesn't hold a ton of stuff that is dangerous. plus the vibrant threads are out to 200 plug pages without repeat scenarios, crashes are harsh agreed but I think finding the cause is good tough science. indicators so far I feel aren't in line with algae death causing it just my opinion.

we study tank crashes for nine pages in the sand rinse thread, curious to know if aged sandbed disturbance occurred at all

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to hear that. I played with a similar product but DIY, Vit C dosing, and it almost bit me.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
where is a pic of the algae infested mode with heavy biomass requiring that treatment (not in the one above/super sharp for sure)

the reason I ask this, is we've killed likely double the amnt of algae present you've had in peroxide threads and never lost one. I know the crash happened, but sourcing it isn't easy sometimes. I rate vibrant/algae loss as the least likely cause of all possibles. algae doesn't hold a ton of stuff that is dangerous

we study tank crashes for nine pages in the sand rinse thread, curious to know if aged sandbed disturbance occurred at all

Vibrant is derived form very aggressive organisms used in waste treatment facilities...
I wouldn’t be surprised if the OP might have accidentally overdid it with the vibrant, leading to complete stripping of nutrients in his system

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would you make that not a statistical outlier given the size of the vibrant thread, and that's just one from here

that assertion changes the etiology from algae loss, to direct vibrant poisoning.

makes for neat sleuthing! keep the details coming. post the bad algae pic from the above tank

we cured this much algae in tanks wo loss

1.jpg

full tank losses have been attributed to peroxide for sure, this is similar to whats claimed above with Vibrant. this is where giant web threads become invaluable, to see recurring patterns.

was Vibrant used per the instructions, or accidentally 10x overdosed?

Last edited:

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your crash. If you want to make a trip out I’ll throw you a couple of frags to start your new reef.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably. Over done a bit. I measured before, this time I just put a squirt in and another a day later.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well either way its a cool reboot. your rocks looks aged yet algae free ha for sure!

new sand, that's a refresher too I just changed mine out two weeks ago. The duncans w tissue left I bet w slowly creep back out, nice save for sure. to have not used the rocks would be harsh, they're purple gold.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the zoas are opening. The Duncan looks like it should mostly recover.
20180207_164714.jpg
20180207_164654.jpg
20180207_164631.jpg

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to run carbon and change out every couple of weeks. As far as nutrient control goes, have you considered biopellets or zeovit?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%

Back