OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to run carbon and change out every couple of weeks. As far as nutrient control goes, have you considered biopellets or zeovit?
I was running EcoBak before. Caused tons of cyano out breaks.

I always run carbon. Have a couple media bags in the flow right now in the sump.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. I've had two of the Aqueon Pro heaters split. I'm not using them anymore. Bought a couple of Eheim Jagger Heaters for the reboot.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a washer off my return pump while I was cleaning it. Hoped it wasn't important, guess it was. Return pump burned up. Had to order a new one. Fortunately I got free same day shipping from Amazon.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear! But if you need one for temp use let me know what you need. I may or may not have. I have pumps sitting around but may not be one you need.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear! But if you need one for temp use let me know what you need. I may or may not have. I have pumps sitting around but may not be one you need.
Thank you for the offer. Hopefully this pump shows up today.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tank running a DSB before the crash as well? IMO you were ripe for a full tank wipeout regardless of vibrant dosing. I'd also attribute your major algae issue you tried to remedy with the vibrant to an old DSB that was at the breaking point as it was. Just not a long term sustainable filter system. Works great until it doesnt kind of thing. But hey if thats your go to, then youll probably get another 3 years til it blows up again. As long as you know the limitations I dont see anything wrong with it. Just find it unlikely a vibrant dose was the root cause of your crash.

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the crash.
IMG_0011.JPG

What caused the crash? The algae?

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tank running a DSB before the crash as well? IMO you were ripe for a full tank wipeout regardless of vibrant dosing. I'd also attribute your major algae issue you tried to remedy with the vibrant to an old DSB that was at the breaking point as it was. Just not a long term sustainable filter system. Works great until it doesnt kind of thing. But hey if thats your go to, then youll probably get another 3 years til it blows up again. As long as you know the limitations I dont see anything wrong with it. Just find it unlikely a vibrant dose was the root cause of your crash.
It wasn't DSB before. Only had an inch or so. The new system is DSB, but that's not the only filtration.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What caused the crash? The algae?
A number of things. The Vibrant overdosing causing a mass die off was the last straw. My skimmer overflowed for a couple days and I missed it. That caused the algae bloom. My feeding routine, combined with how my rock work was setup also provided a bunch of places for detritus to build up.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your crash. If you want to make a trip out I’ll throw you a couple of frags to start your new reef.
I really appreciate the offer, that's a haul up to Clarksville and the weekends are really busy. Thanks though! I'll probably drop by AQ sometime this weekend to see what I can pick up.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took my extra rock to AQ today. I was cleaning out the Brute the rock was in and there was one more rock in the bottom I missed covered in closed zoas. I put it in the display. Hopefully they will come back.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back