Tank crashing, Help!

Galasss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone, I really need some guidance on my nano tank. Here is what has happened over the course of the past few months and what I'm currently dealing with.
I went on vacation for about 3 months, in this time tank was taken care of by a friend; he would just come over once a week to make sure everything was okay (everything is automated). Surprisingly, everyone made it! The only downside was the fact that the feeder was giving a bit too much so the tank developed a pretty bad red slime algae outbreak. Upon my return i did a 15% water change and tried to pull out as much slime algae as i could. 1 week later I started to set up a new nano, i had a good deal to buy some live rock so i did but put it in my nano's back chamber (my first mistake i suspect) i only kept it there for 2 days afterwhich i placed it in the new tank. A few days later my xenia shrunk up for an extended period of time, I figured my ph was low so without testing i added some Kent marine superbuffer-dKH (second mistake). I overdosed the tank and had pretty bad calcium precipitation, i did a 40% water change and called it a day. I noticed my xenia are actually melting (losing polyps in the current) and now I noticed one of my BTA's (which was actually the closest to the xenia moved and went into hiding in another crevice (hasn't moved in the 7 months I've had it). at this point i tested my parameters and to my surprise everything seems to be in check! I also added some fresh carbon. Right now I'm think that the xenia are either causing a spike in ammonia or are releasing some compound in the water which caused my BTA to be ticked off, that or the calcium precipitation is having some type of adverse affect? Anyway ill attach pictures and post live stock ect below. Please help! i really appreciate it. (almost forgot i added some prime just in case, fish are behaving completely normally)
Tank: 6.8 gal
light: hippagero acqua knight
x2 clownfish
x2 bta (clones)
softies (toadstool gsp xenia )
duncan
salinity:1.024
temp: 76
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ish

IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0848.JPG

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank isn't crashing its ok. it could be irritated though for sure from lack of deep clean, copy this thread it'll shine and be fixed above.
a crashing filter system has gray water, fish hovering at the top unable to breathe, red gills, sloughed off corals. that's merely in need of cleaning and new water.

your entire issue is fixed there, because it doesnt matter what your issue is, that fixes all nano reef issues. If you took a 5 year old nano running just fine, and ran that above, the tank would be looking better after the clean not worse.

The thing you are letting go of is letting a reef decline without interference.

we are trained to only act through the water, slowly, that actually kills more reef than it fixes due to extended hesitation delays.

thankfully above, we did the opposite.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the specific aspect of updated cycling science at work in your tank is that after the deep clean and sand blasting, your tank works better and not worse because its surface area is unplugged and now amplified, though the sand portion wouldn't count as assistance anymore. old cycling science would see what we log in results as too much bacteria removed (old cycling science always attributes an inherent weakness to tank bacteria, new cycling science knows they're strong)

new cycling science knows that if you clean out the pores and spaces in the live rock they handle/process orders more waste than the current system does if left untouched. it will simply take on more cyano and plants unless you dose a water agent, kill the current mass off, then it becomes more waste loading vs the clean starts we produce above.

a rip clean is the opposite of making a chemical soup in your tank, its already got too many mixed compounds stressing everything. don't add more compounds.

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many Xenia are known to be toxic and in such a small aquarium that can have a large effect. For future reference, if you see anything obviously dying remove it immediately!

Since the solution to pollution is dilution, keep doing water changes until your anemones look 'happy' again.

OP
OP
Galasss

Galasss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input, @brandon429 the information you presented seems very interesting, I’ll read up about it more. @Nano sapiens you're right! I should have pulled the Xenia out immediately, I was hoping it would bounce back. In the past few hours I’ve pulled every last bit I could out of the tank, done a large WC and added more carbon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back