Tank Cycle w/ Dr. Tim's

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am cycling my tank right now with Dr. Tim's one and only and Dr. Tim's Ammonia.
I have dry rock, and live sand.

I am on Day 3 now, just added more ammonia drops to the tank. Ammonia is still crazy high.

My question is, can I now turn on my skimmer and put back my filter socks in the tank? It says to keep skimmer off, UV off and filter socks out for the first 48 hours.

If I can put the skimmer on and socks back in, should I also turn on the UV Sterilizer now too?

Thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ammonia is elevated, don’t add more. After a couple of days since adding the bacteria, you can skim for aeration. There shouldn’t be much organic matter to skim out or collect in socks.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh crap....I added more ammonia just based on dr tim’s chart/schedule.

Now it says not to add ammonia for 2 days.

I hope I didn’t screw up anything.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 2+ when I tested earlier today, then I added more ammonia.
I'll test it again tomorrow and let you know.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to install new filter sock this morning, test ammonia then post the results here.
I am also going to turn on the skimmer a little later today.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ammonia is greater than 4, I would do a partial water change to keep the cycle from stalling. Anything less than 4 and I think you will be fine. Don't add any more ammonia until your ammonia and nitrite fall below the level stated in the cycling program (both below .5ppm I believe).

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking good.
It was like this yesterday too then I added 880 drops of ammonia. The bottle says 4 drops per gallon.

422A7413-D9A8-42CB-814E-DE21940F9F2F.jpeg

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these bottles. Do you think I should add some?
Not sure what to do from here… Should I wait this out a couple days, should I do a 30 gallon water change, or should I add a little bit of this stuff?

7DF82D05-32EF-4ADB-9A4E-345D4D722138.jpeg

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add the stability. Then wait 2 days and test. Then follow the directions form Dr Tim on adding ammonia.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait 1 day, test. Wait another day, test. Wait 1 last day, test. If your ammonia does not drop to .5 or lower in 3 days then do a big water change and start over with new bottles you have. Or if you are in a hurry do a big water change today and start over.
This is what I did for my cycle with Mr Tims. Dumped in a bottle of bacteria in a 100 gallon tub with dry rock. Turned on power head and heater. Dosed 1/2 dose ammonia to get to 1, not 2 . Tossed in a frozen shrimp. Waited 2 days. Tested. Ammonia was very low. Dosed ammonia to get back to 1.Tested to be sure I was at 1. Tested next day for nitrite and nitrate. Both showed up on the tests. Cycle is going strong. Light tank stocking, and not in a hurry.. This worked for me and your results may vary. Hope this helps you.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just worried because my ammonia is like 8
I may do a small water change today, just to take a little of the edge off and then wait a couple days testing each day. Then if things are still kinda high I may add the Seachem product, then test a couple more days.
Then when ammonia is low, like .5 or 1, maybe I will add more ammonia to raise it to 2, test, and make sure my bacteria can wipe it clean.

Does that sound like a good plan?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are really worried just change most of the water now. Use the 2 bottles of bacteria you have. There is not a whole lot of difference between Dr Tims and those. Bacteria need a little food (ammonia ) to get started multiplying. After they start they don't need a whole lot to live. As you add livestock, piece by piece over time, the bacteria will multiply as food the source grows. If you remove some live stock the bacteria level will adjust accordingly.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see where we are after a week? Just 2ppm max ammonia for the first dose. Then wait until it goes to less than .5. Might take a week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back