Tank Cycling Experiment. Coral QT, Fish QT and DT all using Fritz TurboStart 900 and different methods.

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While doing my Waterbox 130.4 build I researched, and researched, and researched some more on how I should cycle my tanks. One thing fairly conclusive that I found, was that most of those using Fritz Turbo Start 900 found success with the product.

The things I found to be contradictory under multiple circumstances was the method used to feed the bacteria. I chose to go with the following methods.

Display Tank- Waterbox 130.4 with 2 XR30s and 1 XR15 for lighting. 2 MP40s, 2 MP10s, and a COR20 for flow. The display tank will be cycled using Fritz TurboStart 900 and dosing with ammonia from Dr. Tims to work through the cycle process. As I will not be adding fish or coral to this system for at least 2 months, I found that this would be the best tank to try the dosing method with ammonia. I will continue to use the ammonia in the bottle until I am ready to add CUC. Once I clear 2ppm in 24hours I will add the CUC pending enough nutrients for them to feed off of. I am actually hoping for a little algae during this process so I can add a CUC and stop dosing the ammonia a couple weeks prior to adding the fish. Here is a picture of the Waterbox 130.4 in its current state- Hoping to get plumbing and control board done this weekend. This tank is stocked with about 100 lbs of Marco Foundation, Shelf and Reef Saver Rock.

IMG_1571.JPG

Coral QT- This tank is a IM Nuvo Fusion 25 Lagoon AIO. Powered by 1 XR15 and 1 MP10 for flow. I am going to ghost feed this tank a little bit of frozen LRS Reef Frenzy. I will add a quarter of a cube 1 day prior to adding the Fritz to let it break down a bit. I will then add a little each day in attempt to not let the Ammonia get above 2.0. Once Ammonia reads 0 I will have the first 10 frags delivered. I will then monitor the levels in the tank from the frag waste and any spike in nutrients will be dealt with via water change. Other than the stock media which includes 4 cloth balls, I have added (8) Seachem Matrix Bio Media balls.

IMG_1573.JPG

Fish QT- This tank is a IM Nuvo Fusion 25 Lagoon AIO. Powered by 1NICREW ClassicLED Gen 2 Aquarium Light and the stock return pump. I plan to stock this with either 2 Clown Fish or 4 Chromis. I am undecided on that part as of now. I will add the Turbo Start the same day as adding the fish just before acclimating the fish. I will monitor ammonia and other nutrient levels daily. Any spike in levels will be adjusted by utilizing fresh saltwater. I will keep 20 gallons pre mixed in a brute during the cycling process. It will remain at the same temp as the tanks (78f) so it is always ready to go. Other than the stock media which includes 4 cloth balls, I have added (8) Seachem Matrix Bio Media balls.

IMG_1572.JPG

I found several used live rock for cycling. I was originally leaning towards using live rock due to all of the bonuses that come with it, but ultimately I chose not to go this method due to the amount of hitchhikers and risks involved. I am looking to maintain a pristine display tank free of any pests or diseases. Now, I hear that these are not about IF you will get them, more about WHEN. However, I plan to put all live stock, Coral and Fish, through a thorough quarantine process. I will do my best to avoid introducing any of the "nasty" stuff to my display.

Couple of other important items-
-Temp will remain at 78f.
-Salt used is Tropic Marin Pro Reef. This will be mixed to 1.019 for QT tanks and 1.025 on my display. I will slowly increase the salinity in the QT's via water changes while live stock is being Quarantined.
-Fritz was ordered from @AlgaeBarn as it is my understanding they ship temp controlled. I will find out in a day or so ;)
-Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Salinity will all be measured daily during cycling. The will be logged in a spreadsheet and I will update this thread daily (or every other day, if I get behind) with my results and findings. I will also include a few pictures along the way.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to provide some suggestions along the way. Also, I am happy to add in any other data or findings anyone would like to see, as long as it does not interfere with the integrity of the experiment.

Thats all for now- Feel free to follow my build thread or @keywestreefer on Instagram for more updates :)

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have water in the Coral QT. After a slight calculation error on the salt it’s currently measuring 1.021. Lesson learned. Will drop it with a water change tomorrow to 1.019.

Attachments

• IMG_1578.MOV
    7.3 MB
OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So- Fritz arrived from Algae Barn, however, the bottle was around 90 degrees. Issues with Shipping surrounding Covid i'm sure. They delivered to a central mail and tracking showed it wouldn't even arrive until tomorrow. Algaebarn has been great and is going to send me a new bottle. I have paid for upgraded overnight shipping in hopes it will arrive in better temp. With that being said, I put a little in to see what would happen and start the cycle process in the Coral QT. Below is what the first 2 days looks like.

6/10/20-
Coral QT- Added 1oz of warm Turbostart, added a small amount (1/4 of a dime size) of reef frenzy... boy does that stuff stink. I also cut an additional 2X4 piece of filter pad to add in the built in sump to give the bacteria more area to grow.
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- Didn't Test
Nitrate- Didn't Test
Salinity- 1.021
PH- 7.6 (pretty low, not sure if the test kit is good or I have too much CO2 in the house, also I did not mix the salt to the correct salinity, which I will increase before the coral shipment in hopes to increase PH to around 8.3 and salinity closer to 1.024) I may also look at some Kalkwasser for the QT tank. Display will be dosed via 2 Apex DOS.
Alkalinity- 7.5 (Same boat as above)

6/11/20- All I did today was add an additional amount of Reef Frenzy in hopes to get a little ammonia reading.

Here is a photo of the Fish QT ready to receive first batch of fish, which will be 3 Green Chromis arriving tomorrow.
IMG_1605.JPG

Current Picture of the coral QT- Something is happening between the warm Fritz and the Reef Frenzy as we have some cloudy water.

IMG_1604.JPG

That is all for tonight. Tomorrow, I will re-test Coral water and double check salinity and Ammonia in the Fish QT prior to introducing the 3 new fish. I will have prepared Salt Water on standby to ensure the fish maintain a safe environment.

Brent Behringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya- and not too good. Pretty sure both shipments of fritz were toast due to temp. Algae Barn is working to make it right, but they were both shipped very poorly. I couldn’t continue this as parameters were going haywire. Sorry for the let down :(.
Ok wow. Was seriously thinking of going the fritz turbo 900 for algae barn way to cycle my tank. My just go the microbacter or dr Tim’s one and only

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok wow. Was seriously thinking of going the fritz turbo 900 for algae barn way to cycle my tank. My just go the microbacter or dr Tim’s one and only
I threw $200 worth of 900 in the garbage. Again, I’ve seen some great reviews...but, my issue I believe was with temp control. I’m going to use Dr. Tim’s for round 2 if necessary. I’m hoping my last little bit of livestock will make it so I don’t have to completely start over.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had amazing success with Fritz TurboStart 900 (purchased on Amazon). In fact, I have been following the BRS 4-month cycle program - lights off/fish in. In the final month 4 now. I put the TurboStart in the first day after adding the water. Next day 4 fish and more fish every couple of weeks. No ammonia, no nitrites throughout. Tank is a Waterbox 5526 Peninsula 170 gallon system (120 DT, 40 sump). See my build thread for details.

Aquarium 2.jpg

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had amazing success with Fritz TurboStart 900 (purchased on Amazon). In fact, I have been following the BRS 4-month cycle program - lights off/fish in. In the final month 4 now. I put the TurboStart in the first day after adding the water. Next day 4 fish and more fish every couple of weeks. No ammonia, no nitrites throughout. Tank is a Waterbox 5526 Peninsula 170 gallon system (120 DT, 40 sump). See my build thread for details.

Aquarium 2.jpg
I wish my experience was the same.
How was the temp of the turbo start when you received it?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya- and not too good. Pretty sure both shipments of fritz were toast due to temp. Algae Barn is working to make it right, but they were both shipped very poorly. I couldn’t continue this as parameters were going haywire. Sorry for the let down :(.
Sorry about your experience. I still want to thank you- you had a great write up and you really underscored some of the challenges reefers need to be aware of in the supply chain of their bacterial products. I'm really glad you were cogniscent to test along the way. I hope everything works out for you and your next try is "luckier" than your first. Sad outcome, but a really important post that could help to save a fellow reefer some heartache down the road.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. I live in Palm Springs so it came in the mail. Probably in the 80 deg + range (received it in March). After opening I stored it in the refrigerator. Here is quote from Fritz web site:

Nitrifying bacteria are delicate, they are “vegetative cells” and do not form a protective coat or “spore” as many non-nitrifying bacteria do. For this reason, FritzZyme® has a limited shelf life and must be protected from freezing (32°F) and overheating (110°F). Room temperature out of direct sunlight is sufficient for storage. Ideal storage temperature is 45 to 55°F.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your experience. I still want to thank you- you had a great write up and you really underscored some of the challenges reefers need to be aware of in the supply chain of their bacterial products. I'm really glad you were cogniscent to test along the way. I hope everything works out for you and your next try is "luckier" than your first. Sad outcome, but a really important post that could help to save a fellow reefer some heartache down the road.
Wow- Thanks so much for the kind words. I truly wish this had gone a different route. Shipping a box to FL on 3 day, int he summer, with 1 ice pack in a little insulated bubble wrap just doesn't make sense. So then... I paid extra to ship it fedex overnight. Still, arrived and inside temp was +90 degrees. Alage Barn told me it would be ok due to the time of exposure... It was not. I will tell you, that on my Display, I overdosed the Turbo by about 2X. My ammonia lasted about 6 days... Nitrites and Nitrates 2 weeks later are still through the roof.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's rough. I'm glad to see Algae Barn is making everything right.

Think of the silver lining though. This isn't a dig at Fritz or any of the other manufacturer's whose directions suggest to add fish immediately, but had you followed the directions, you might have had quite the mess on your hands. It was good of you to "trust, but verify" as in this case, the directions were written with the idea of ideal storage/shipping conditions. Being such a diligent reefer really payed off, even if it would have been better if this story went a bit smoother and had a happier ending...

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's rough. I'm glad to see Algae Barn is making everything right.

Think of the silver lining though. This isn't a dig at Fritz or any of the other manufacturer's whose directions suggest to add fish immediately, but had you followed the directions, you might have had quite the mess on your hands. It was good of you to "trust, but verify" as in this case, the directions were written with the idea of ideal storage/shipping conditions. Being such a diligent reefer really payed off, even if it would have been better if this story went a bit smoother and had a happier ending...
Correct, I have 0 issues with the products at this point. I can’t confirm or deny if they or the process works.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.7%
Back