Tank Cycling

Sanctuary Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time lurker, first time poster from Melbourne Australia……….

Just in the process of completing a build of my first reef tank – 1,750 litre (464g); 360cm (141”) x 70cm (27.5”) 70cm (27.5”), which will be primarily a LPS tank.

My question is in relation to cycling. I’m planning on using Seachem matrix as part of my biological filtration, however I want to put the matrix in a filter bag (I’ve got 200-micron filter bags presently). Therefore, my question is:

(Q1.) Will the filter bag, being 200 microns, filter out beneficial bacteria and impede its colonisation on the matrix?

(Q1.a) If so, what size micron filter bag would be appropriate, noting I want to have the matrix in a bag.

FYI - I plan on cycling with Dr Tims fishless cycle, and will also use mechanical filtration (course sponge etc.) ahead of the bio media to help filter out the particulate matter etc.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time lurker, first time poster from Melbourne Australia……….

Just in the process of completing a build of my first reef tank – 1,750 litre (464g); 360cm (141”) x 70cm (27.5”) 70cm (27.5”), which will be primarily a LPS tank.

My question is in relation to cycling. I’m planning on using Seachem matrix as part of my biological filtration, however I want to put the matrix in a filter bag (I’ve got 200-micron filter bags presently). Therefore, my question is:

(Q1.) Will the filter bag, being 200 microns, filter out beneficial bacteria and impede its colonisation on the matrix?

(Q1.a) If so, what size micron filter bag would be appropriate, noting I want to have the matrix in a bag.

FYI - I plan on cycling with Dr Tims fishless cycle, and will also use mechanical filtration (course sponge etc.) ahead of the bio media to help filter out the particulate matter etc.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
No prob using those bags.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back