Tank Cycling

ferrisian77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys’ in the process of fishless cycling a Red Sea Max 170 with Dr Tim’s. About 2 weeks into the process and slightly confused as I have Free Ammonia read of zero, zero nitrites and around 10pm Nitrates. Glad that my tank is now producing nitrates but confused as when I test for total ammonia it still at 2ppm - 3ppm.
Just after opinions on where I am at during the cycle stage and any advice that can be provided. Thanks

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there. The difference between the two readings is NH3 (ammonia) and NH4 (ammonium ions) The former being toxic to your fish and the latter being non toxic. Note that the latter reading is dependant on your PH and temp, and can be converted back with chemistry changes. Out of curiosity, what test kits are you using? Even with bottle bac, two weeks in, your system is still cycling. I would leave it be for another two weeks and test again to see where you're at.

OP
OP
F

ferrisian77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks appreciate the feedback. Tested with Seachem Multi test. Will stick it out for another few weeks and see how it goes.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks appreciate the feedback. Tested with Seachem Multi test. Will stick it out for another few weeks and see how it goes.
Remember the old addage: the only things that happen quickly in this hobby are generally bad. Happy reefing!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tim's starter bac is like a 10 day process to be cycled. What is the point of using bottled bac if you are going to go a full month long cycle? Your ammonia reading is likely a false positive.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back