Tank Dying… I need to vent…

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adjusting white light (up) has a tremendous impact on bleach events. this thread is an important testimony to that imo

the #1 thing we do in tank transfers (way more disruptive than turning up flow) is remove white spectrum light for a long time to prevent bleaching and it works for sixty pages.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you change back that increased white light yet

need to reduce the overall power included for about 10 days and slowly ramp up aftewards. sunburn= in effect

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I appreciate that!
Is your JF green/teal birds nest doing ok?
I have a German blue digitata and a pink birds nest about to go to war and I was looking at how to frag that...
Whatever infection it had spread quickly. I chopped off the uninfected ends and have them scattered around the tank. One died like the rest, but the others seem to still be living with polyps out despite being in less than ideal locations.

Think it must have been the stylo finally blocking flow to the forward center part of the colony that then got infected or something and began dieing off, eventually soreading to the healthy part that was still in good flow.

I'm thinking that turbulent random flow must be what works best for these guys since they grow together so much. You see them filling in space together on real reefs, but there's so much motion in those waters that I'm sure even the tucked in parts are getting decent flow.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW.. all the Pocillopora in the tank is doing fine... All of it... all over my tank...
In fact I think it is outcompeting the Aptasia...
I had an order for a pocci a while back then happened upon a thread showing a person's tank with a full on pocci infestation. Then read about how they are the Kenya tree of SPS and managed to replace the pocci order with something else before it shipped!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody loses things from time to time for no reason. Kudos for not chasing anything since this often can do more harm than good. You could be ready for a few years of thriving, so who knows... head up...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you make the light and flow changes to begin with prior to your RTN situation? I've had luck cutting off portions of colonies that start to RTN or STN and saving the majority of the coral. Obviously a last resort might be a ciprofloaxin bath or KFC dip too.

Also, on a side note, I recently gave some nice SPS colonies to my LFS which opened up nice room in the tank to try a number of different color and types of acros again. Starting over to some degree can be fun and reinvigorate your enthusiasm energy for the hobby so if you lose a few pieces then look at it as an opportunity to try some even nicer different frags.

Basically if the tank gives you a bag of lemons then make some Lynchburg lemonade and chill. These little setbacks are what makes the hobby challenging and rewarding.

Last edited:

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I also watched something I think from the Florida aquarium that was also talking about a dip. Anti biotic then aminos. But for the life of me I can't find it.
1:27:03 is the start where they get into dips. Hope this jars something in memory for ya :)

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you make the light and flow changes to begin with prior to your RTN situation? I've had luck cutting off portions of colonies that start to RTN or STN and saving the majority of the coral. Obviously a last resort might be a ciprofloaxin bath or KFC dip too.

Also, on a side note, I recently gave some nice SPS colonies to my LFS which opened up nice room in the tank to try a number of different color and types of acros again. Starting over to some degree can be fun and reinvigorate your enthusiasm energy for the hobby so if you lose a few pieces then look at it as an opportunity to try some even nicer different frags.

Basically if the tank gives you a bag of lemons then make some Lynchburg lemonade and chill. These little setbacks are what makes the hobby challenging and rewarding.
The flow was changed because I was trying to compensate for some heavy coral growth In the back part of the tank blocking the front area. So I thought I could use the gyre to make up for that. I think it was just too much too fast. The extra white was on my fill strips to make sure a new clam got adequate spectrum where it was. But the difference in par was very nil. Like less than 5

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay Strong Never Give Up GIF
This hobby sometimes is a pain in the.... But hopefully things will settle down. This is only my opinion But I would put everything back to how it was before the problem but I am in no means at professional in the subject. Good luck going forward

Last edited:

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m sorry for your coral! Amino acids fuel bad things. Dinos,algae, bad bacteria (RTN,STN). I won’t dose aminos anymore. Coral and fish flourish off a good diet of fish food.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sending good vibes.

I am also going through what I call a "regressive period", I have lost about six colonies, some a few years old. Same thing... some light and current changes, temp got hot a few days (83), but who really knows.

Just... good luck to both of us that it runs it's course without too much loss. That's reefing.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody loses things from time to time for no reason. Kudos for not chasing anything since this often can do more harm than good. You could be ready for a few years of thriving, so who knows... head up...
I would say my other tanks saved me. If I only had the one, there would of been a good chance I would of gone into "More" of a panic mode. Looking at my other tanks not showing any signs of stress along with a quick water test pointed me in the direction of other possibilities. If they weren’t there, I would have worried someone poured bleach in my tank or something horrific like that. But even seeing my other tanks, it still put me into a bit of a spiral.
But yes, It helped me a lot to take a breath and make a mental list of possibilities.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to thank everyone for their support during a stressful few days. Everything has colored up or on its way. I actually am surprised on how quickly things went back to normal.
So this was the affected area, you can see the crazy glue scars.
IMG_1405.jpeg

The corals that were there, pretty much look like this…
2023-11-11-16-34-43-065.jpeg

I do have the old Bonsai Garf Frag base that is doing great but it will be a minute until that grows out.
IMG_1409.jpeg

And here is some pics of the survivors
IMG_1402.jpeg
IMG_1406.jpeg
IMG_1403.jpeg
IMG_1404.jpeg

Again thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back