Catastrophic loss

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone, I had a very unfortunate weekend. We had a huge storm in upstate NY and power was lost for over 48 hours. I lost most of my fish and as it looks right now I’m going to loose all of my coral that I spent years building up. It’s been a hard weekend. Not only loosing fish that I have had for 13 years plus but a whole tank of coral. It kind of makes me want to throw in the towel. Just venting as I am very down with my losses.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone, I had a very unfortunate weekend. We had a huge storm in upstate NY and power was lost for over 48 hours. I lost most of my fish and as it looks right now I’m going to loose all of my coral that I spent years building up. It’s been a hard weekend. Not only loosing fish that I have had for 13 years plus but a whole tank of coral. It kind of makes me want to throw in the towel. Just venting as I am very down with my losses.
I was exactly where you are almost 2 years ago. It's so painful. Sorry for your loss. Take your time and try to keep that spark for the hobby alive

OP
OP
Jay6363

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry.

Crazy idea but I live 2 1/2 hours away and have a 5000kw gasoline generator. Any chance I meet you halfway up the NY State Thruway?
Thank you power came back late last night, and I was running on another kind souls gas generator but it was out and off for a solid amount of time before I got that.
I’m watching all my coral that hadn’t bleached bleach now, still I’ll never be able to get back…..

But thank you your kindness to hop In a truck and drive to me half way is amazing! That what this hobby is about.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh no! I'm so very sorry... :(

AlyciaMarie

Mrs. Gumbies R Us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh goodness.. That's so tough... So sorry this happened. :worried-face:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG!!! So sorry to hear. Please do not throw in the towel. Just have a future plan for power outage. MAn, I can't imagine. I am super bummed for you.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you power came back late last night, and I was running on another kind souls gas generator but it was out and off for a solid amount of time before I got that.
I’m watching all my coral that hadn’t bleached bleach now, still I’ll never be able to get back…..

But thank you your kindness to hop In a truck and drive to me half way is amazing! That what this hobby is about.

Let me know when things stabilize. I’m constantly cutting back my corals and will send you free torches, hammers, and Acros.

IMG_3251.jpeg

OP
OP
Jay6363

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know when things stabilize. I’m constantly cutting back my corals and will send you free torches, hammers, and Acros.

IMG_3251.jpeg
Peter thank you , I appreciate everything that comes along with this hobby which includes selfless reefers willing to help. I will definitely reach out if I decide to stay in. I have a lot of gratitude as I have a few people that have reached out and said the same.

OP
OP
Jay6363

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG!!! So sorry to hear. Please do not throw in the towel. Just have a future plan for power outage. MAn, I can't imagine. I am super bummed for you.
Yeah- I’m kicking myself now because I thought about insurance in a generator beginning of winter. I forgot due to hectic work life, thought I skirted past winter because it looked like spring up here. Then this bizzare storm hit. I’m really regretting things right now. A generator would have been a meager investment to save all the animals.

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Where are you at? If you are near Rochester I can give you some coral frags, I’ve been there! Also, I have a generator now, it’s saved me quite a few times. I use it to run the pumps, heaters and skimmer on my tank, plus it can also run a fridge and my furnace. The wind I get of Lake Ontario is insane so it was a great investment, it’s just your typical portable one.

OP
OP
Jay6363

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was painful to read, so sorry for your loss! You may step back for a while but this hobby has a way of pulling you back in. Best of luck!
Thank you. Yeah very painful to experience. My poor son was crying as I pulled all my fish out of the tank. I appreciate your kind words! Haha and you’re right I most likely will be pulled back in. Well, I feel like I owe it to the three fish that somehow survived to keep at-least the tank going.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back