Tank equipment top 3 choices

Knyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lurking awhile now and looking at tanks, equipment, parts and you tube videos.
Been kind of putting together some parts and equipment of what I would use.
I would like some input and ideas of what you guys would choose. Possible a top 3 of each

I'm considering the WB line of tanks.
Been looking at the new FRAG 145.5, PENINSULA 6025 and the REEF 180.5
What would be everyone's top 3 choices for:
Return pumps, Lights, wave makers, skimmers, possibly a different sump other than what comes with the WB dosers/reactors and RODI system with the least amount of waste water.
Any other additional items/ equipment/ ideas is great too.

Thanks in advance

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the waterbox frag systems because they are shallow. I love shallow reefs they are beautiful. if you upgrade the sump IMO I would go custom. if not trigger systems or banshee makes great sumps. return pumps jeabo makes cheap great dc pumps. at that price u can get an extra or 2 as backup. at the higher end you have ecotechs and Neptunes pumps. wave makers again its all a personal preference. Ecotech, jeabo, tunze hydor and gyre all make great pumps when maintained. lights again are up to you but I would do the ati sunpower or the aquatic life hybrid.

What are your goals for this tank it will help us out to know some more info

OP
OP
K

Knyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the waterbox frag systems because they are shallow. I love shallow reefs they are beautiful. if you upgrade the sump IMO I would go custom. if not trigger systems or banshee makes great sumps. return pumps jeabo makes cheap great dc pumps. at that price u can get an extra or 2 as backup. at the higher end you have ecotechs and Neptunes pumps. wave makers again its all a personal preference. Ecotech, jeabo, tunze hydor and gyre all make great pumps when maintained. lights again are up to you but I would do the ati sunpower or the aquatic life hybrid.

What are your goals for this tank it will help us out to know some more info

Thanks for getting back to me

I really like the look of the sallow tanks as well. Kind of look a little different and appealing to me. Plus depending on where I put it in my house its less water weight.

I'm thinking id do a mix reef and start out with easier side of corals. Nothing to demanding or on the hard to keep side of things. Most likely keep a low to medium stocking of fish. More so on the easy to care for. Nothing to hard or expert side. if that make sense

This will be my first salt water tank. I've been in the fresh side for years.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back to me

I really like the look of the sallow tanks as well. Kind of look a little different and appealing to me. Plus depending on where I put it in my house its less water weight.

I'm thinking id do a mix reef and start out with easier side of corals. Nothing to demanding or on the hard to keep side of things. Most likely keep a low to medium stocking of fish. More so on the easy to care for. Nothing to hard or expert side. if that make sense

This will be my first salt water tank. I've been in the fresh side for years.
Ok. well you need to decide if you want a peninsula tank or not. here's what I would do if it were me. water box frag, ATI sun power with 2-3 kessils, banshee sump, preferred skimmer etc

OP
OP
K

Knyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good old bump
Would like to hear what others would do in their tanks, or pick from for some equipment to go in.
Thanks

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspect gyre powerhead
Maxspect razor led
Reef octopus return pump
Trigger systems sump
Apex

Those are my favorite. I love maxspect, I also like having both the light and gyre being able to connect to the app for fine tuning. I have a eshopps skimmer but I haven't tried many other skimmers to know what's better. I was limited by the footprint of the sump skimmer section

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lurking awhile now and looking at tanks, equipment, parts and you tube videos.
Been kind of putting together some parts and equipment of what I would use.
I would like some input and ideas of what you guys would choose. Possible a top 3 of each

I'm considering the WB line of tanks.
Been looking at the new FRAG 145.5, PENINSULA 6025 and the REEF 180.5
What would be everyone's top 3 choices for:
Return pumps, Lights, wave makers, skimmers, possibly a different sump other than what comes with the WB dosers/reactors and RODI system with the least amount of waste water.
Any other additional items/ equipment/ ideas is great too.

Thanks in advance

I would go with whatever is tank is between 15in-18in. Shallow may look nice in pictures, but isn't always best for viewing a tank in person.

All you really need to get started is tank, stand, sump, return pump and heater. Jebao return pumps seem to be very popular, I've never used one so I can't comment. I have used mag drives mostly, and Current USA pump I picked up. The dc pumps are nice with all the controls, but I found I didn't use the controls past setting it up and getting the overflow tuned in.

For lights, buy right or buy twice. "buy right" as in get a light that is proven to grow coral, Metal halide, T5, led options. I would choose an option that is capable of growing SPS and not just easy corals. One day you'll want to try out some hard corals and be real disappointed that the light you spend $$$ on can't even grow easy montipora, then you'll be in the "buy twice" category. Personally, I run T5 over my frag tanks, and a metal halide combo over my display.

RO systems are really going to depend on the water pressure in your house. I'm on well water, and the water pressure isn't great. Even after adjusting the pressure valve and tank I was only getting 50psi at the RO unit, so I run a booster pump. Waste water from the unit will also depend on water pressure, before the booster pump I was getting about a 1:5 ratio of good water to waste water. After installing the booster I'm at 1:3 which is acceptable for me, again I'm on a well and don't have a water bill. If I did have a water bill, I would add a second RO membrane off of the waste water line to save as much water as possible.

Why do you want to switch out the sump? Seems silly to buy the setup and not use the sump.

But here's my top 3 for each category
Return Pump
1. Jebao
2. Ecotech
3. Magdrive or an AC powered pump

Lights
1. T5 (I run T5 and prefer the look of them to LED so this is a biased opinion)
2. LED (Radion, AI, Black Boxes, ect)
3. Metal Halide

Wave Maker
1. Jebao ( I have both the cp150 gyre pump, and 4 slw20's)
2. AI Nero 5 and Nero 3
3. Ecotech MP series (I'm not a huge fan of these, but they work and are popular)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back