Tank expenses

FishDaddy1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do people get these expensive tanks? Take the Red Sea Reefer XL 425 G2, its a $3,000 tank before taxes and shipping. In todays economy, it just seems crazy that people have that kind of money to flop down on a tank. I have a 55 gal and want to upgrade to a larger tank but can't figure out how people afford to buy these large tanks.

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do people get these expensive tanks? Take the Red Sea Reefer XL 425 G2, its a $3,000 tank before taxes and shipping. In todays economy, it just seems crazy that people have that kind of money to flop down on a tank. I have a 55 gal and want to upgrade to a larger tank but can't figure out how people afford to buy these large tanks.
Sell 10 $300 designer zoa polyps? :)

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, unfortunately, this hobby is not cheap! However, you can check out FB marketplace, craigslist, offerup, or marketplace on here to get some nice deals for big tanks! That's how I got a 180g tank setup a couple of years ago for a steal.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Budget
  • Save
  • Buy used
  • Shop around
  • Sales
  • Request quote for custom

No different than other hobbies be it sewing, HPED, RC, wood working, and more. Everyone has different entrance criteria as it relates to cost. The thing I often note when having these discussions is to remind new hobbyist that the display is only one part of the puzzle. Life support such as skimmers, lighting, and chemistry are more as the display size increases and is often overlooked. Especially when we upgrade say from a 29 gallon bio cube or 40 breeder to a 200 gallon display. More rock. More salt. More additives over time. More coral, fish, you get the idea.

But expensive is relative and means different things to different people. The B word, budget, is how unless people are careless or don't care or have more discretionary income to blow. All of which is perfectly fine.

MMcKenna1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is more expensive than say a classic car... In reality I would consider reef keeping a pretty scalable hobby that you can cater to your budget. A used tank, mixed salt water from the LFS, low end light can get you started. As far as where you can take it? I'll let Andrew Sandler weigh in on that. In reality, you just can't buy a Porsche for the price of a Miata.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing is a hobby that can be as expensive as you want to make it. Some people might want to spend a bunch of money getting these big tanks, with all this equipment while others might be fine with a little nano tank with not too much equipment going on with it. It all depends on the person, and the budget they want to have for the tank.

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank 66 gallons was planned a seeder/cultivation tank for a future larger tank.
No guarantees but maybe one day. Either way I should first research whether my house construction/flooring needs supporting. I'd like a 300+ gallon tank and maybe use my 66 gallon as a sump/fug or a see through room to hallway divider elsewhere.

Acrylic really makes sense if purchasing a one piece tank rounded corners rather than sealed corners. I am unfamiliar if acrylic tanks use compounds other than silicon? If so are joints/mating surfaces considered lifetime?

Last edited:
OP
OP
FishDaddy1992

FishDaddy1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing is a hobby that can be as expensive as you want to make it. Some people might want to spend a bunch of money getting these big tanks, with all this equipment while others might be fine with a little nano tank with not too much equipment going on with it. It all depends on the person, and the budget they want to have for the tank.
While I don't completely disagree with this, my problem, being relatively new, is that nano is harder to care for.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back