Tank flow help

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I had to make an emergency tank change. My 29 nano mysteriously had a crack in it one morning. So I took the chance and upgraded to a 24x24x24, 60 gallon cube. On the broken tank I was running an mp10. My corals are mostly lps, and zoas with a sea fan thrown in there.
The tank:

Front:
image.jpg

Left:
D18FCC83-05C9-4DC2-83A1-773C3800727A.jpeg

Right:
09A7FA04-2FFD-4193-9BF4-0E5BE9F24344.jpeg

(That sea fan is really enjoining that nearly direct flow)

according to ecotechs flow calculator mp10 should be enough for a tank of this size. But I’m not so sure. Maybe my placement is bad but my zoas and acans at the bottom don’t seem to be getting much of anything.
What do you guys think? Any suggestions on powerhead placement or if I need more flow what equipment you would recommend are welcome.

also my mp10 is currently running on the möbius applications medium flow (maxes at 75%) setting with the reef crest profile.
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 MP10 in my wife's 60g cube, and its a mixed reef at this current time (SPS,LPS,Zoas,Shrooms). Adding 1 more and putting it lower in the tank will help. You don't have to use a MP10 if you want to go with a Cheaper DC pump. Coral Box line of DC pumps are great, and priced right.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 MP10 in my wife's 60g cube, and its a mixed reef at this current time (SPS,LPS,Zoas,Shrooms). Adding 1 more and putting it lower in the tank will help. You don't have to use a MP10 if you want to go with a Cheaper DC pump. Coral Box line of DC pumps are great, and priced right.
"don't have to use an mp10" :
my ocd would like to have a word with you.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well..... you don't have too ...LOL
But if your OCD does not agree then by all means get the MP10s :)
oh no you're 100% correct. but seeing two different kinds of powerheads right near each other like that would probably drive me nuts. also mobius is such a great app for controlling my powerhead

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how strong your return pump is, you may be able to get away with just the MP10 you have and a slightly over driven 1/2in Random Flow Generator® Nozzle.

If your return pump can deliver 450 to 550 (or more) GPH to the return line, add a singel 1/2in RFG nozzle and point it diagonally across the tank towards the center of the opposite corner.

Then place your MP10 at the mid to upper portion of the back glass pointed forward, but on the opposite side from the RFG (so on the left side while facing the tank)

Run the MP10 on constant on, or even reef crest at 75% to 100% - this will create a sort of gyre effect around the tank, while the RFG will then help to break up that laminar flow.

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two AI Nero-3's in my 60 cube. They are pretty small and if you mount one on the back of the tank you should hardly notice it. Maybe mount one high and the other low if you need more flow. They are priced pretty good too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back