tank glass pop out questions

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
Hope all are doing good

This is regarding A tank I build 120 gallon .peninsula style .

I have raised the water level high but did not put and strip to hold the sides of the tank

The question is will glass pop out since the water level is high .?so I need to seal it .

SmartSelect_20200914-012404_Gallery.gif 20200914_011807.jpg

Snapazonie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
Hope all are doing good

This is regarding A tank I build 120 gallon .peninsula style .

I have raised the water level high but did not put and strip to hold the sides of the tank

The question is will glass pop out since the water level is high .?so I need to seal it .

SmartSelect_20200914-012404_Gallery.gif 20200914_011807.jpg
not sure what the actual question is but..in my experience managing a glass business is that butt glazing glass is a strong application if done properly with a 1/16 to 1/8 space between the glass..being a 120 tank its never a bad bet to use ever precaution in more stability..wet glaze the corners or even a aluminum or stainless corner trim..hope that helps.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are talking about a cross brace on the top? I will tell you from experience, if it pops, your whole week (and maybe more) will be spent trying to clean and dry your home. Imagine tipping over 4-30 trash cans full of water at the same time. And not just water but saltwater. It will instantly go everywhere!!!!
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what the actual question is but..in my experience managing a glass business is that butt glazing glass is a strong application if done properly with a 1/16 to 1/8 space between the glass..being a 120 tank its never a bad bet to use ever precaution in more stability..wet glaze the corners or even a aluminum or stainless corner trim..hope that helps.
Thanks for the advise. I was thinking a stainless corner trim .instead of cross bar .

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 120 rimless with roughly 12" of water hight ime youd want 1/2" thick glass. When you build rimless you also generally float the bottom to change your load bearing seams a bit. If this is how you constructed ypur good to go.

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are talking about a cross brace on the top? I will tell you from experience, if it pops, your whole week (and maybe more) will be spent trying to clean and dry your home. Imagine tipping over 4-30 trash cans full of water at the same time. And not just water but saltwater. It will instantly go everywhere!!!!
Cheers! Mark
Thanks for the advice. Cross bar is the thing.
I planing to hold coner using stainless rim. Instead of cross bars taks away the look of the peninsula tank

Snapazonie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its 120 gallon
12 mm
48 x24x24

20200914_085415.jpg
thats some good silicone..i would do corner braces to insure corners stay strong..1/2" anneled glass is ok for what you have..i agree with TJ that floating the bottom with a pad is good for distribution

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats some good silicone..i would do corner braces to insure corners stay strong..1/2" anneled glass is ok for what you have..i agree with TJ that floating the bottom with a pad is good for distribution
I should rim all corners. might think of padding the bottom as well.at the moment I have used 1 inch regiform on the bottom

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 120 rimless with roughly 12" of water hight ime youd want 1/2" thick glass. When you build rimless you also generally float the bottom to change your load bearing seams a bit. If this is how you constructed ypur good to go.
Thanks for the advice. I have used 1 inch regiform on the bottom. Do you think it will be sufficient. Please advice .

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I have used 1 inch regiform on the bottom. Do you think it will be sufficient. Please advice .
Float the bottom means the sides go around the bottom piece not connected on top of it. With a rimmed tank the sides attach on top of the bottom on a rimless the sides connect on the sides of the bottom piece aka the bottom floats between the sides. Basically the construction process is different right from the beginning so you either build one or the other. A floated bottom tank with no rim is usually placed on a pad to help with even load bearing where a tank with the bottom panel for support is placed on a rim for ridgid support all the way around.

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float the bottom means the sides go around the bottom piece not connected on top of it. With a rimmed tank the sides attach on top of the bottom on a rimless the sides connect on the sides of the bottom piece aka the bottom floats between the sides. Basically the construction process is different right from the beginning so you either build one or the other. A floated bottom tank with no rim is usually placed on a pad to help with even load bearing where a tank with the bottom panel for support is placed on a rim for ridgid support all the way around.
I wish I knew this before building .but when I built my tank I have put 2 glass on the bottom.
Bottom glass
Glass to hold all 4 glass of the DP
And the DP glass

Sorry for the messy drawing

What about an acrylic cross bar .

20200914_101500.jpg Screenshot_20200914-102535_Samsung Notes.jpg

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew this before building .but when I built my tank I have put 2 glass on the bottom.
Bottom glass
And the DP glass

Screenshot_20200914-102535_Samsung Notes.jpg 20200914_101500.jpg

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom glass
And the DP glass

Screenshot_20200914-102535_Samsung Notes.jpg 20200914_101500.jpg
You have three pieces of glass on the bottom stacked up?
I am very confused by what your trying to communicate but maybe ive just never seen what your refering to. You cannot stack glass together to add strength. If you have layers of glass load is transferred to each individually in turn but they dont really add to eachother. Its not like building with wood where you can bolt together (2)2 by 4s instead of buying one 2 by 6 etc. So, if each layer is at least 10mm and theres no gaps between layers causing stress points (you dont want your tank loaded on a bead of silicone for example) you should be fine, if you stacked up glass and used two 6mm pieces to add up to your 12mm the tank is very likely to fail. I wish youd asked these questions before building as well, i would definitely help a new tank builder to a good start.

If your doing a center brace you want to use glass theres not really a good way to make a lasting glass to acrylic connection to hold the constant force that will be exerted.

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have three pieces of glass on the bottom stacked up?
I am very confused by what your trying to communicate but maybe ive just never seen what your refering to. You cannot stack glass together to add strength. If you have layers of glass load is transferred to each individually in turn but they dont really add to eachother. Its not like building with wood where you can bolt together (2)2 by 4s instead of buying one 2 by 6 etc. So, if each layer is at least 10mm and theres no gaps between layers causing stress points (you dont want your tank loaded on a bead of silicone for example) you should be fine, if you stacked up glass and used two 6mm pieces to add up to your 12mm the tank is very likely to fail. I wish youd asked these questions before building as well, i would definitely help a new tank builder to a good start.

If your doing a center brace you want to use glass theres not really a good way to make a lasting glass to acrylic connection to hold the constant force that will be exerted.
I didn't know any of this thanks for the support it's better I cover the rims and put a cross for the safe .there this easy way to build a tank I went with whole new hard way.
its better be safe than sorry .
Thanks again .

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to build a peninsula type tank with no cross bar.do they use higher thickness of glass

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 42 40.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back