tank going south quick!

colin obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at this point I have a humu trigger at 4'', a dog face puffer at about 5'' maybe a little more, a powder blue tang at 51/2", and a panther grouper pushing 8". so about 3 months ago with that current stock of fish, I was at a my lfs (not reefscapes) and saw a beautiful male blue jaw trigger fish that's about 31/2" and I always wanted one. but for some reason I never got one from reefscapes. so I just had to have it. I never consulted the place that stocked my tank about it so that was the first place I went wrong. so I took it home and put in my hospital tank/quarantine tank that I use for my other tanks. it was in there for about a month and a half and nothing showed up. so I figured it was okay to put it in the display with the other fish. the transfer went great and the only bad thing that happened was the humu charged the blue jaw as soon as it went into the tank but never touched it after that. this is when things started going down hill. in about 3 days my powder blue lost its vibrant colors and turned to a pale blue. I was very upset and iv never seen this happen before and I knew the blue jaw had to have something to do with it. the tang stopped eating, but still had a big belly so it wasn't hard to diagnose and treat. luckily there are no corals or inverts in the tank so I just treated the whole tank with general cure from API. after the treatment was finished the tangs colors where back and eating like usual again. for about a month everything was great even the blue jaw trigger was doing great. then I left for vacation and was gone for a week, even had a friend come by and give the tang a vegie sheet. unfortunately my friend did not tell me that when he came to give the tang a vegie sheet, he didn't tell me that the AC wasn't working. and living in florida that's not good. when I got back the water temp was 96. I was very upset and concerned but all the fish were still alive probably only because the large amount of flow I have and the aeration I have in the sump I think probably helped. but I could not get the AC fixed for another week so I put a window unit by the tank and hoped it would cool it off. it didn't do much because my family's house is rather large and except for bed rooms its just one big open space and the tank is in that open space but I brought the temp down to 91. I even got sick one night sleeping in the heat. eventually the AC was fixed and all the fish seemed fine. but the next day the humu triggers fins started to tear and it looked like fin rot. so I went to the lfs and was told to use this med called paraguard from seachem. I used it for a week and things only got worse :( so I went to reefscapes this time very concerned and told them what happened. they recommended bifuran, it was a yellow powder that turned my tank to this yellow color. this stuff did not work at all and then my entire tank started to act sick. I fallowed the directions on the bottle exactly after 3 days the first fish I ever had and my favorite, the humu trigger, is dead :( and ever since I put that stuff in the tank non of the fish have eaten until I did a 25% water change after stopping the treatment. the grouper and blue jaw both have their appetite back but the puffer will try to eat but spits his favorite food out and the powder blue tang will eat but only the vegie sheets. the tang has lost quite a bit of weight since I put the first medication in. its been a little over a week since I stopped all treatments but the water still has a yellow tint to it, all water perimeters are fine and im doing a 25% water change every other day with carbon filtration. im just worried that another fish might die, the blue jaw has ripped up fins now even though there is no aggression in the tank. and the other day I had a power outage only in my neighbor hood and then one of my power heads started putting off stray voltage and I tested for that and it was putting out 55volts for a few days until I put my hand in the water and I had a little cut on my hand and I could feel it there. so I narrowed it down to that single power head and took it out and now its 20volts which I have read that its okay there. so my fish have been through a lot and i could use some help to get the tank back to its old awesome self. and I still don't know what to do with that disease that had to have been from the blue jaw trigger. sorry about the essay I wrote but I wanted yall to have the full story about what's going on. I can provide pictures if needed and thank you so much for any help you can give!

Last edited:

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant was was bullet points, what are the problems, and symptoms along with parameters. Pictures would not hurt either.

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like your triggers fought...

That always ends in death, and stress for all the fish.

I say isolate the blue jaw (ah man, I'm waiting for that fish! its one of my favorite species) into a qt tank and see how things go...

Is your skimmer running right now? It will get rid of the yellow deposit in the water column in a day or two...

Post a pic of everything, that might help out a lot.

What is your tank's temp right now?

This might seem that I am asking for a lot, but when you add all of that together, you will see the main problem...

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the primary stressor here is likely to be that the tank was over 90 degrees for over a week - even for fish-only, that's a lot of hot.

From the information supplied, we really can't tell whether any disease or parasite is involved in the fish not eating - photos would help with that, ideally clear and close-up.

So far, you've treated them with API General Cure, which contains Praziquantel (treats various worms & flukes) and Metronidazole (treats some bacterial and flagellate infestations), which was somewhat successful, and with Bi-Furan (antibiotic) which was less successful, and left a yellow haze in the water - is that correct?

Did you have reason to suspect a bacterial infection? (Again, photos of the fish would help...)

~Bruce

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change the gac out more often till your sure all of the med is out and the water shows no more of the yellow stain.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back