Tank heaters for PNW 75 gal tank

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a 75 gal mixed reef tank. What types of heaters would yall recommend? I have read that using 2 is probably a good idea in case one fails. I was thinking of something with a controller attached. I do not have APEX or another aquarium controller yet. Any suggestions on good options?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Inkbird as a heater control and I’m happy with it. The are different ones, make sure it’s for aquarium use!

OP
OP
Fungusamongus

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Inkbird as a heater control and I’m happy with it. The are different ones, make sure it’s for aquarium use!
Do you use a titanium heating element? Do you also require a chiller in summer? I dont have AC, but it can get hot for a couple of days. Just wondering what other locals require.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a 75 gal mixed reef tank. What types of heaters would yall recommend? I have read that using 2 is probably a good idea in case one fails. I was thinking of something with a controller attached. I do not have APEX or another aquarium controller yet. Any suggestions on good options?
Look at the IM Helio heaters and controller. I’ve been running a test in my garage with the 200w single element model in a 17g tank. It’s been keeping the water pegged at 77 degrees even with ambient temps in the garage down in the 40’s at night.

OP
OP
Fungusamongus

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the IM Helio heaters and controller. I’ve been running a test in my garage with the 200w single element model in a 17g tank. It’s been keeping the water pegged at 77 degrees even with ambient temps in the garage down in the 40’s at night.
I looked into those as well. Kind of worried about burnout with a single heater. If i did to that i might do a Hygger back-up set 2 degrees cooler.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into those as well. Kind of worried about burnout with a single heater. If i did to that i might do a Hygger back-up set 2 degrees cooler.
The controller will run two heating elements. I chose to just get one to start becasue it was an experiment to see what it would handle. I would always have a second element in an actual running tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back