Tank Help. No coral growth, diatom/dino issues, and others.

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background information on tank:
40 gallon breeder
Trigger System 30in Sump (17ish gallons)
Maxspec Razor 24in 160W LEDs
Reef Octopus INT-110 Skimmer
Kessil H160 Tuna Flora Refugium Light (Ran from 10pm to 6am, growing chateomorpha)
Mp10 QD at half power running Reef Crest
Maxspec Gyre 1k at 80% power running Pulse
2x 100W Eheim Jager
Tunze Osmolator (not running any kalk or dosing)
Neptune Apex Classic
Red Sea Blue Bucket

Been having a diatom issue in the recent months, posted on it several times, have tried a few of the methods, but to no avail. I completely scrub the rocks, and polyfilter as much of it out as I can, due to the fact that theres just no better way to tackle it. My parameters seem pretty rock steady, but they aren't at what I would call optimal levels. I purchased some Silicabuster DI resin from Spectrapure and did a series of water changes (10 gallons per day for 4 days, 15 gallons 2 days after that, and 15 gallons every weekend since). I do not believe Silica is the issue at this point, it could be all locked up in the diatoms that exist within the tank, but seeing as they grow back so fast I'm at a loss. I have also positively identified them to be diatoms in another post, but thinking maybe I should get another sample to look at under a microscope due to the lack of silica.

Testing results:
0.5ppm Nitrate (Nyos)
Undetectable Phosphate (Nyos)
Salinity 1.025 (Refractometer)
Temperature 78 degrees F (Apex)
Alk 8.8 (Hanna)
Calcium 410ish (Red Sea)
Magnesium 1540ppm, test seems unreliable. (Red Sea)
Undetectable Silica (Salifert)

My bioload is very light considering the stocking I have. People have told me to increase it, but my local store doesn't have the fish I want at the times I am available to go get one (Royal Gramma). Coral seems to be happy for the most part, but I just am not experiencing any growth. Seeing the growth people are getting on different videos and other posts is incredible! I'd be happy with 10% of what they see. I am thinking now that my lighting could be the issue. I have wanted to rent a PAR meter from BRS, but its currently unavailable. I know not many are familiar with the Maxspec Razor series of lighting, but I have the 160W 16k version and the schedule is as follows:

1000 0W 0B
1200 0W 30B
1400 30W 70B
1800 30W 70B
2000 0W 30B
2200 0W 30B

Any insight from anyone? Is my water too clean? Too dirty? Recently have seen a good amount of hair algae in the tank, and some light coraline algae growing on the rocks but it becomes covered in this brown slime quick. I have been running some GFO in a reactor since Sunday, but the growth rate seems consistent like it has been. Getting a little frustrated from this, but not giving up, I find whatever this organism is to be incredible, and it just really just like the environment I am providing it. Just looking for some expertise, other's experiences with similar situations, and my options. I have posted a few posts like these in the past, and have gotten some responses but just looking for more input, as the problem is persistent. Any comments greatly appreciated. I love the community here and the hobby as a whole, been thoroughly enjoying it despite my unsuccessful first year. Thanks everyone! Pictures to follow.

Note: Rockwork was scrubbed "clean" on Sunday. Pictures are current.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190117_174814.jpg
20190117_174814.jpg

20190117_174825.jpg
20190117_174830.jpg

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running? While your coral is not seemingly bleaching, I'm also not seeing coralline growth on the rock or glasswork (which may just be due to age).

I would consider cutting the overall lighting output by 30-40% and let thing settle in.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks been up since March 2018. Theres some light coraline but not much as I always re frag plugged my corals. I have a few frag plugs with it now, and can see it when the rocks are clean in several areas.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People always state its a nutrient issue, but I just do not believe it. My bioload is light, and filtration is hugely overkill for this tank. My chaeto grows at such a slow rate, and even before I had diatom issues it grew slow. I do not believe it can be a high nutrient issue myself, but then again I am not an expert.

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running? While your coral is not seemingly bleaching, I'm also not seeing coralline growth on the rock or glasswork (which may just be due to age).

I would consider cutting the overall lighting output by 30-40% and let thing settle in.
As an FYI it looks like OP is using dry rock only. With this, he will never see coralline algae - it has to be introduced to a system via live rock, scraping, frags with it in etc.
Doesn’t matter how long nor how stable the system is - it will never appear unless first manually introduced

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Recently have seen a good amount of hair algae in the tank, and some light coraline algae growing on the rocks but it becomes covered in this brown slime quick." I do have some coralline growing, but it quickly gets covered in the sludge as well. Snails I added and a few newer corals have coralline on them, and when I scrub the rock I can see spots of it growing.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rock scrubbed.jpg

Here is what my rockwork looks like when its completely scrubbed of the diatom coverage. Tank was cycled the 9th of March, 2018. The spots of coralline now are much larger, this photo was taken over a month ago.

Daniel 123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cook, bleach, or acid dip your dry rock to cure it before adding to your tank? If not your leaching from your rock feeding the algae growth most likely.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not, I heard mixed things about it, but it was my first tank. Gave the rocks an RO dip just to get all the dust off then cycled in tank. I didnt really have this problem up until 3 months ago or 4. I did not wash my sand either. I have began yeast dosing after reading a few forms about it and figured give it a try as it couldn't hurt anything too much as the yeast don't live in saltwater. I have noticed it has been turning a much lighter color in some parts, almost translucent. Doing a water change within the hour here and going to scrub again and continue with the yeast.

Daniel 123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dry rock was once alive and has many many dead critters as an algae food source in them. I think now its just a waiting game of when your rock fully cure and is no longer leaching nutrients into your water.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I believe the conclusion can be made that whatever it is using as a building block for growth has to be present in the tank itself, and not my water, or else many others would have the same issue. Any tips besides placing polyfil in my overflow and using a toothbrush to get it off the rock with ease? Removing may be hard because there is like 50 pounds of rock in the display, dry.

Daniel 123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can phyiscally remove the algae but it will just grow back, the nutrients you cant see in the water, but theyre there you only see a byproduct of the nutrients the algae, honestly i think if you dont want to remove the rock youll have to let it run its course till it consumes itself in your tank once everything inside and all over your rock has decayed. You could try dosing redsea nopox for a while and see if that helps. Otherwise im not sure what reliable options you have maybe others will chime in with help, sorry.

OP
OP
S

Stingray122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically removing it is removing some nutrients as well, so I think ill just continue with the scrubbing/polyfilling it out. Thanks!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back