Tank is a disaster

fishsheperd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in dire need of help, I no longer know what I am supposed to do. This tank is about 6ish months old and is covered in hair algae and other algae’s. My phosphate reads at zero on my Hannah Checker, my nitrates 0-5 ppm Salifert tester. Those are the only two test kits I have.
I only feed frozen (Reef Frenzy). I put a jar of galaxy pods in monthly.
My corals are growing like crazy and all the fish seem fat and happy. I just can’t figure it out.

IMG_5217.jpeg

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you do water changes, hit the algae with a tooth brush next time before the water change and suck it out. Repeat with each water change.

I also suggest investing in a good clean up crew (cuc) to target the algae. Most people like astreas, I prefer nerites, turbos, and ceriths (warning- the nerites can crawl out of your tank, just throw them back in). Urchins are also good but may relocate things for you. Also some algae grazing fish like start blennies and smaller tanks would help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My tank is in dire need of help, I no longer know what I am supposed to do. This tank is about 6ish months old and is covered in hair algae and other algae’s. My phosphate reads at zero on my Hannah Checker, my nitrates 0-5 ppm Salifert tester. Those are the only two test kits I have.
My corals are growing like crazy and all the fish seem fat and happy. I just can’t figure it out.

IMG_5217.jpeg
While not terrible, there is a bit of hair algae. Assure not too many hours of light, phosphate level not elevated, and are you using RODI water or tap water from Faucet? Is tank at or near a window?
For the hair algae, pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

OP
OP
F

fishsheperd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate all the input guys!
I recently purchased an urchin, 2 Mexican turbo snails (died after two days) 7 astrea snails, have about 5 hermits, a conch, and a cleaner shrimp.
It is a 40 gallon tank and I do 5 gallons a week. Occasionally 10 gallons.
I was looking into ordering from reef cleaners but seen people on here say they need to be quarantined. Which I do not have room for a quarantine set up unfortunately.
I also do run activated carbon and am planning on throwing in some chemipure blue once it arrives.
I also run RODI water which I filter myself and just changed the filters out about a month ago, so water is at 0.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5217.jpeg
Not a problem. Calm down. Go get blue legged hermit crabs and turbo snails. Or better yet, a TANG!!! Just remember to quarantine any fish and use an acclimation box. IMG_5396.jpeg IMG_4425.jpeg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate all the input guys!
I recently purchased an urchin, 2 Mexican turbo snails (died after two days) 7 astrea snails, have about 5 hermits, a conch, and a cleaner shrimp.
It is a 40 gallon tank and I do 5 gallons a week. Occasionally 10 gallons.
I was looking into ordering from reef cleaners but seen people on here say they need to be quarantined. Which I do not have room for a quarantine set up unfortunately.
I also do run activated carbon and am planning on throwing in some chemipure blue once it arrives.
I also run RODI water which I filter myself and just changed the filters out about a month ago, so water is at 0.
Some people recommend qt for inverts. It is not a requirement however. Not saying nothing would happen, but I haven’t had an issue not qt’ing them. I have also ordered from Reef Cleaners with success. I highly suggest paying for the UPS shipping. They will come with very little water and paper towels to minimize ammonia spikes, which is weird to see at first.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine approach should be the same as inverts from your LFS, which will depend on your risk approach. If it helps, a simple 10 gallon tank with a grow light from Home Depot is plenty to QT a decent sized batch of snails and crabs, add a conch also for the sand, they’re voracious and seem to eat anything including green cyano most inverts won’t touch

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others that manual removal will really help. Most CUC won't touch GHA if its already long. Removing the bigger globs helps the CUC eat the leftovers. The black urchins sold by Tampa Bay Saltwater are bonafide GHA eaters. I would get two of them if I were you, pencil urchins suck IME.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I prefer chemipure blue. No need to use that and carbon.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve read into them. And it sounds like they like to creat a constant sandstorm? Has that been your experience?
That they can and will do. Its the nature of a sand sifter

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%

Back