Tank is slightly cloudy…

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been about two weeks now and the slight cloudy/haze is still showing.

I’ve added fish so am sure it could be due to that. My question is, should I leave the tank alone and continue with my normal maintenance, or is there anything I could/should add to remove the haze?

tank is 160l

stock:

pair clowns
3 anthias
3 chromis
Pistol shrimp and goby
Flame hawkfish
Lemon peel angel

I only have soft corals at the moment.

my parameters as off yesterday:

nitrate: 6.9
Nitrite: 1
Ammonia: 0.10
Alkalinity: 9.2
Calcium: 531
Magnesium: 1580
Po4: 0.38
Ph: 8.0

tank is around 3 months old

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you running activated carbon? Thats the normal go-to solution for cloudy/smelly/yellow water.

EDIT: 11 fish in a 42 gallon in 3 months is toomuchtoofast IMO

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you running activated carbon? Thats the normal go-to solution for cloudy/smelly/yellow water.

EDIT: 11 fish in a 42 gallon in 3 months is toomuchtoofast IMO

Yeah I run carbon.

been testing my water everyday for ammonia and nitrates.

I use nopox as well on a dosing pump

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a pretty heavy bioload for a tank thats only 3 months old. I would monitor your water quality closely. probably a bacterial bloom. make sure you have alot of surface agitation for gas exchange
I’ve got an extra powerhead that is pointed to the surface which had a lot of movement.

been checking water every day and nitrates are slowly coming down. I do weekly water change of 15litres and add bacteria each week and when I add any new fish.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got an extra powerhead that is pointed to the surface which had a lot of movement.

been checking water every day and nitrates are slowly coming down. I do weekly water change of 15litres and add bacteria each week and when I add any new fish.

Your new power head Possibly just stirring up your sand bed, a power head pointed towards the surface is great for agitation, also... up comes down, at a guess your sandbed is relatively new and just stirring up tiny particles, they will settle/ filter out in time

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your new power head Possibly just stirring up your sand bed, a power head pointed towards the surface is great for agitation, also... up comes down, at a guess your sandbed is relatively new and just stirring up tiny particles, they will settle/ filter out in time
I will attaché a video of the tank.

I have a small power head on one end and the big one the other end slighty pointing up.

with regards to adding the fish quick, I read on brs tv that I should leave it 2-3 weeks between adding new fish so I’ve just gone with their advice. I won’t be adding more I’m happy with my stock now.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will attaché a video of the tank.

I have a small power head on one end and the big one the other end slighty pointing up.

with regards to adding the fish quick, I read on brs tv that I should leave it 2-3 weeks between adding new fish so I’ve just gone with their advice. I won’t be adding more I’m happy with my stock now.
Great but I just suggested it may be your new sandbed from April???

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you should let it go. It will find a balance if you stop adding bacteria. The flow and surface agitation will help. Don't add anything for a while and the cycle will complete itself. Good luck.

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great but I just suggested it may be your new sandbed from April???
Yeah I think it could be. I set the tank up in March. My pistol shrimp keeps moving the sand around as well.

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should let it go. It will find a balance if you stop adding bacteria. The flow and surface agitation will help. Don't add anything for a while and the cycle will complete itself. Good luck.
I don’t plan on adding anything now, I’m happy with the stock :)

my skimmer is relatively new so that could be a factor maybe

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20G high got a bacterial bloom and some stringy fungus after adding to much beneficial bacteria. Got this from walmart's website. It made my water clearer than gin before water changes. Did four two gallon water changes. Things are very close to normal now.

uv.PNG

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20G high got a bacterial bloom and some stringy fungus after adding to much beneficial bacteria. Got this from walmart's website. It made my water clearer than gin before water changes. Did four two gallon water changes. Things are very close to normal now.

uv.PNG
Ah maybe I’m adding to much bacteria.
I add two drops of bio-s every week and when I add fish. Maybe I will add the bio-s every other week.

oo I’ll have look at a steriliser, thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back