Tank Journals & Build Threads: Do you have one?

Do you have a build thread or tank journal here on R2R?

• YES and I keep it updated

Votes: 148 37.3%
  • YES but I don't keep it updated

Votes: 79 19.9%
  • NO but I want to create one

Votes: 118 29.7%
  • NO not interested in starting a build thread or journal

Votes: 41 10.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Member's Aquarium Discussion

I've always been a HUGE believer that build threads or tank journals are a huge asset to the community and to you as the author of these "builds" or "journals." They are interesting to read but they offer so much value to the community in many other ways. I wanted to list these ways but I would rather hear your thoughts about build threads and see what you think the value of these journals are. I also want to make it better and for that I need your advice! So let's go!

1. Do you have a build thread or tank journal here on R2R?

2. What are some ways that the community benefits from reading tank build threads and journals?

3. How could we make maintaining and accessing build threads more attractive to you?

Here are the forums we have for adding your own tank build or journal.
o;ui;u;u;.png

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes.

2. What are some ways that the community benefits from reading tank build threads and journals?

I personally like to see what others are doing. It gives me ideas for my own aquarium. I really like to see new equipment and ideas for live stock in the Build Threads.

3. How could we make maintaining and accessing build threads more attractive to you?

Have a daily build POST highlight each day. Something that can help new and veteran reefers. Ok, Like I said I like to see new equipment. I dont look in every thread so having one highlighted every day, like the QotD would makeme look at more BTs.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes.

I personally like to see what others are doing. It gives me ideas for my own aquarium. I really like to see new equipment and ideas for live stock in the Build Threads.

Have a daily build POST highlight each day. Something that can help new and veteran reefers. Ok, Like I said I like to see new equipment. I dont look in every thread so having one highlighted every day, like the QotD would makeme look at more BTs.

Great responses! I love that you do a daily highlight post! This is great!

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not yet. I'm new but definitely am looking to document as much as possible.

As a noobie having a KB (Knowledge Base) is always a great way to see how other noobs and seasoned hobbyist are doing.

N/A as I just go here so I have no opinions at this time.
Okay; I have one. It's cool these exist.

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Member's Aquarium Discussion

I've always been a HUGE believer that build threads or tank journals are a huge asset to the community and to you as the author of these "builds" or "journals." They are interesting to read but they offer so much value to the community in many other ways. I wanted to list these ways but I would rather hear your thoughts about build threads and see what you think the value of these journals are. I also want to make it better and for that I need your advice! So let's go!

Here are the forums we have for adding your own tank build or journal.

Sure do!

I've been enjoying searching for owners of the same tank as mine. It's cool seeing how different people configure the sump, etc.

It would be really cool to have a gallery section where you can just see all of the pictures from the thread.

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes.

It give me a general idea of options you have for the type of tank your running from light, equipment, live stock etc.

Possibly finds ways to organize the thread better for instance pictures and equipment list in separate places from conversations about the on going events or updates.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do keep it updated. It gets very few views, especially compared to other content I create around my reef. Interesting, especially since I used to get a whole lot of engagement on the other big forum, when I maintained build threads there. I wonder if R2R is just not as good for engagement, or maybe my build thread is just lost in all of the noise on R2R. Either way, it's nice having a place to come to track my progress over the 3 years of keeping my 120 gallon mixed reef.
120 Gallon Mixed Reef 3 Years Old Matt Geldof October 2021.jpg

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - we recently setup a 134-gallon cube in the our front lobby, and have been documenting the progress

20211019_150226.jpg

I feel the biggest benefit is to see the different methods and approaches others have employed to accomplish the same goals we are all after - a successful reef tank. For isntnace, in our own tank build you can see how we create flow within the tank using Just Random Flow Generator Nozzles and a reviser check valve setup that lets us run a slightly under sized sump.

Give us the abilty to track or list livestock, equipment and other categories separate but integrated into to the conversion. Alsmot like a tab based interface simair to the Articles Section - but maybe give the build thread owner a litte control over the tabs.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of agree with some of the others, I put a lot of time at first in my build thread and little response, while other build threads will go on for 1000 pages. Now I just keep it updated so that buyers can see I’m legit.

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No With 14,000 threads on this topic, I can't imagine mine would add any value for others on the off chance it might show up in a search they might execute. I have my own private journal to track what I do in the tank that suffices for me.

I spend time every day reading posts that catch my interest. Sometimes the sheer number of responses becomes overwhelming to keep up with. I frequently search on topics that I need help with. They too can be overwhelming to sort thru. I like "stickies" and the "articles" section because the authors often provide a more thorough discussion of the topic. The foundation in those posts make it easier to follow the thread as others post their thoughts on the topic.

My answer is a little off topic. I wish that articles and stickies could be reviewed by staff periodically to determine if they are still relevant, or if they are outdated because more recent information is available . I find it difficult sometimes to confirm what I'm reading is the latest and "vetted" information on a topic. Sometimes the information in "stickies", "articles" and threads are just different opinions and alternatives. Sometimes the information is no longer useful at best and just plain wrong and dangerous at worst. I guess that's what one should expect in a forum, but it creates challenges.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give us the abilty to track or list livestock, equipment and other categories separate but integrated into to the conversion. Alsmot like a tab based interface simair to the Articles Section - but maybe give the build thread owner a litte control over the tabs.
This!!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. On each of my tanks I did a build thread. One, a reboot, I started a new thread. Newest tank I had 12 pages before I got the tank in hand!! Definitely more of a journal or a record of my journey. These are my journals. I should copy and paste into a journal but why double the work lol's. I should also go through the old ones just to see my growth in becoming a reefer.

I learn a lot by reading other build threads, esp. tanks of similar size. And it is also just a way to interact with other reefers.

Love the picture galley idea with a link to the original post. Also tabs for equip and fish and corals. With links.

Oct 11 full shot.jpg

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you have a build thread or tank journal here on R2R? Yep.

I think they're a fun way for people to engage with each other, and they're definitely helpful for people starting new tanks, troubleshooting, etc. I know I've found a few of these threads through googling my own problems in the past. It's also extremely helpful for people to see the progress. Not just the actual setup/stocking steps, but follow along while the tank goes through the various stages of establishment/growth, etc. It's also great for the thread creator to get realtime feedback and support.

I think R2R does a good job. I do think it'd be helpful if some creators would be a bit more honest with their threads. I think we all want to build the perfect tank and there's a tendency to skew toward the positive. It's important to show the problems, the uglies, the losses, etc. Many posters do this, but some take the influencer approach and sort of paint an unrealistic picture of what it's like starting a tank.

fowler279

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. One for each of the two tanks I have currently. I enjoy the process of documenting out the journey. I prolly dont update as much as I should and in fact have not updated my Nano thread due to the new tank.

Build threads are prolly what I read the most of. It helps especially new reefers see what others have done, what was successful, what wasnt, and gives ideas on equipment sizing, stocking, and other helpful items.

Same as others have said. Tabs for equipment, stocking, photos, etc. Also like the idea of being able to narrow it down by size and possibly vendor. I know when I was looking to purchase recently I went through tons of threads trying to find people who had built tanks similar to what I was looking for and wasnt really as easy to find what I was looking for.

Back