Tank Journals & Build Threads: Do you have one?

Do you have a build thread or tank journal here on R2R?

• YES and I keep it updated

Votes: 148 37.3%
  • YES but I don't keep it updated

Votes: 79 19.9%
  • NO but I want to create one

Votes: 118 29.7%
  • NO not interested in starting a build thread or journal

Votes: 41 10.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.8%

• Total voters

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you have a build thread or tank journal here on R2R?

I sure do!

2. What are some ways that the community benefits from reading tank build threads and journals?

I can see and read about what equipment can coexist. What works. Make me feel less like an idiot.

3. How could we make maintaining and accessing build threads more attractive to you?

My only suggestion is doing a rotating "Focus on" tab going. Have someone's build thread on display for a week. Bring in higher traffic for a bit.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do update. Not as much now as I use to during construction. While I was constructing things were changing daily now that it is full things are slower and just don't need as much updates.

2. What are some ways that the community benefits from reading tank build threads and journals?

My tank build is an actual tank built as I built the tank and I had good times and bad so I think for anyone planning a plywood tank experiences from myself an others who have done this the more detail the better, I really tried to be very detailed with a lot of pictures of the actual tank build.

3. How could we make maintaining and accessing build threads more attractive to you?
Not really sure as I think I like the current format. I did a lot of research before my build and this forum really helped.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. I think I started it the day I signed up. :)

Camaraderie
Sharing advice and knowledge
Inspiration

Having customized tags to search for specific build characteristics has been mentioned multiple times in this thread. Call me crazy, but I believe this already exists, but perhaps isn't being fully utilized.

2DE9A069-A76F-4ED3-90C6-DAEA4EA5CFFD.jpeg

I only really engage on the build threads of others with whom I engage in other threads, PMs, etc, or those who have similar builds or posts that I can offer advice on. With the sheer number of build threads created, I don't know how engagement could be organically increased in a forum-driven site. Some of the other suggestions about builds could be integrated into our user profiles — if the search functionality extended to include searching profiles for those tags or keywords, that could be a relatively simple tweak that doesn't involve reinventing (or re-coding) the wheel.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do keep it updated. It gets very few views, especially compared to other content I create around my reef. Interesting, especially since I used to get a whole lot of engagement on the other big forum, when I maintained build threads there. I wonder if R2R is just not as good for engagement, or maybe my build thread is just lost in all of the noise on R2R. Either way, it's nice having a place to come to track my progress over the 3 years of keeping my 120 gallon mixed reef.
120 Gallon Mixed Reef 3 Years Old Matt Geldof October 2021.jpg
Well you have a very beautiful aquarium there so bravo.
I'm sure alot more people will read your build thread now to see how you obtained such a magnificent tank

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, just posted a new tank video last night. I enjoy posting videos a little more than photos, because I think they help show the movement of the corals and fish better, which is more interesting than still photos to me.

As others have said, they are useful to see how others have done things with similar equipment. They are also useful for inspiration.

I really like the idea of having build threads be sortable based on equipment used, especially the tank size and dimensions. My favorite build threads to follow are the ones that are also sumpless (like mine) or use the same tank as I have, or am planning on upgrading to.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I have with build threads is that I’ve found them not very useful. It usually starts with a plan and equipment list, but then 8 pages later everything is different. They often end up being kind of rambling rather than cohesive and organized in a way helpful to other reefers. Not to say there aren’t some super helpful ones out there, but there’s a lot of coal to find one diamond.

Part of the issue is the nature of the hobby; everything takes so long to see if it was successful. I think the ideal build thread would start a year or more down the line. Then with before/after knowledge you can really dive into what worked and what didn’t. Rather than a multi-year, multi-page thread with micro-decision play by plays.

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, haven’t updated it for a very long time. Tank still running but get about zero attention. Still waiting for my home to be repaired from the Texas freeze. If it ever gets fixed (and I have any corals left) I will probably do a new build. However, I haven’t bought any new corals/equipment in almost a year, and the prices have skyrocketed so maybe it will be out of my “budget” to start over again.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The problem I have with build threads is that I’ve found them not very useful. It usually starts with a plan and equipment list, but then 8 pages later everything is different. They often end up being kind of rambling rather than cohesive and organized in a way helpful to other reefers. Not to say there aren’t some super helpful ones out there, but there’s a lot of coal to find one diamond.

Part of the issue is the nature of the hobby; everything takes so long to see if it was successful. I think the ideal build thread would start a year or more down the line. Then with before/after knowledge you can really dive into what worked and what didn’t. Rather than a multi-year, multi-page thread with micro-decision play by plays.
I totally agree with ariellemermaid on her thoughts. Some build threads have over 1000-1500 posts and the build thread rambles on for days about going on vacation, pets, work problems etc. You have to scroll through pages and pages of social media talk before they post any progress with their build. Also, some people start their build thread months before even purchasing their tank and end up having pages of discussion on what they might or could do And end up changing their whole build.

I am in the process of planning a 350 gallon reef set up and won’t start my thread until I have my tank delivered and actually start the process. It will be posted in a timely manor with the intent of sharing information, asking some questions and soliciting advice as I go along. All my questions so far have been asked on several specific threads to ask for advice here on this forum.

I would like to see MOST of the useless chit chat and non stop mindless chatter on these build threads eliminated. Most people follow build threads because they have an interest in the build and want to learn, ask questions and help out when asked for advice and not discuss the weather. Just my 2 cents.

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, delaying it until I have my 75 gallon display tank drilled. I don't want to make the thread and have the tank shatter on me.

Users looking at tank builds to explore what if scenarios and see the results a particular equipment has on coral and fish. Like what would a tank look like using this light or using this dosing brand?

It would be cool to have a function that allows the thread creator to provide a list of equipment they use with price of each equipment attached too. It would help me compare tanks easier. It would be easy to line up all the tanks with a specific light and observe corals they grow or line up tanks using the same tank dimensions and see what equipment they use. I could also see what kind of fish they have stocked in their tank.

Another thing that is attractive to me about build threads is hearing thoughts on fish in the tank I am interested in or experience with a specific coral or equipment. I take that into account when selecting equipment, fish and coral I would want to use in my future tank. It would be cool to

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically I really enjoy making and maintaining build threads for my tanks. This was my first reef tank and I was trying to keep a good build thread, but I just wasn't getting any interaction with my thread... So I lost interest... Kinda, What's the point

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back