Tank leak

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by Baz93, Jun 10, 2019 at 5:18 AM.

1. Baz93

Baz93 New Member

Had a lovely little leak at 3am this morning . All corals and fish into spare set up . Best ways to find leak ????

2. Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman Lets Go Snorkeling! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to Reef2Reef
    welcome 4.jpg

Maybe a bit more info would be helpful? Like how big is the tank? Is it glass or acrylic? is it rimless or rimmed? Rimmed tanks can make tiny leaks much harder to locate. Where was the leaking water (floor, inside the stand, around the base of the tank, under some plumbing)? Was it a big leak that was draining the tank (but that should be easy to find)? Or a small drip?

I'd dry up any leaked water and set paper towels or Kleenex where it was wet. Then you can see even a drip when it leaks. I've even used tape to hold a paper towel up along the corner of a glass tank to see where the leak was. It was only a drip every 10 minutes and behind the plastic frame.

The bigger issue, if it's the actual tank that is leaking, is how do you fix it?

Good luck.

Mastiffsrule and lapin like this.
  3. LiveWire

LiveWire Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa

Welcome to the Reef!! This YouTube video may be able to help you out.

Mastiffsrule likes this.
  4. lapin

lapin Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Hospitality Award

Howdy.
    You will need to fill the tank with water to find the leak. Start with a little water and see if it leaks. Then up the level an inch and see. This should show you at what level your leak is starting. Once you get that far then we can better decide it there is a fix as Ron says above.

Ipinion (kinda like opinion):
    I would not put a whole lot of faith in King of DYI's repair and construction of a tanks that need to hold water for any length of time

5. Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Hospitality Award

Welcome. I love the paper towel method. Tape paper towel all around the seams in the area water is and watch.

Ron Reefman likes this.
  6. Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman Lets Go Snorkeling! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I agree. Just doing a new seal on the inside of the tank doesn't fix the fact that the seal inbetween the end of the glass and the next panel is leaking as well, and that's the PRIMARY seal that holds in the water. That inside seal is just an extra saftey layer.

Draft saved Draft deleted