Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef
welcome 4.jpg

Maybe a bit more info would be helpful? Like how big is the tank? Is it glass or acrylic? is it rimless or rimmed? Rimmed tanks can make tiny leaks much harder to locate. Where was the leaking water (floor, inside the stand, around the base of the tank, under some plumbing)? Was it a big leak that was draining the tank (but that should be easy to find)? Or a small drip?

I'd dry up any leaked water and set paper towels or Kleenex where it was wet. Then you can see even a drip when it leaks. I've even used tape to hold a paper towel up along the corner of a glass tank to see where the leak was. It was only a drip every 10 minutes and behind the plastic frame.

The bigger issue, if it's the actual tank that is leaking, is how do you fix it?

Good luck.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy.
You will need to fill the tank with water to find the leak. Start with a little water and see if it leaks. Then up the level an inch and see. This should show you at what level your leak is starting. Once you get that far then we can better decide it there is a fix as Ron says above.

Ipinion (kinda like opinion):
I would not put a whole lot of faith in King of DYI's repair and construction of a tanks that need to hold water for any length of time

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I love the paper towel method. Tape paper towel all around the seams in the area water is and watch.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy.
You will need to fill the tank with water to find the leak. Start with a little water and see if it leaks. Then up the level an inch and see. This should show you at what level your leak is starting. Once you get that far then we can better decide it there is a fix as Ron says above.

Ipinion (kinda like opinion):
I would not put a whole lot of faith in King of DYI's repair and construction of a tanks that need to hold water for any length of time

I agree. Just doing a new seal on the inside of the tank doesn't fix the fact that the seal inbetween the end of the glass and the next panel is leaking as well, and that's the PRIMARY seal that holds in the water. That inside seal is just an extra saftey layer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back