Tank leaking, but I can’t tell where

Mmonk005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized that my tank is leaking. 42 gallon tank. Cannot figure out where it’s coming from. Any suggestions?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I break it down and get it into a garbage can?
Or at least be ready to do it in a hurry. Maybe lower the water level to take some weight off it and so you have less water on the floor if something does happen.

As for trying to find the source of the leak, my question is, then what? If you're going to repair it, that's one thing, but if it's more about being curious where it's leaking from, I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm assuming it's not leaking from one of the corners/sides or you'd see it. Further, I'm guessing it's a rimmed (at least on the bottom) tank, which is hiding the leak. Without easy access to the bottom, I think your best bet is to move the substrate away from the sides and, if you're lucky, maybe you'll be able to see it dripping.

But keep in mind that if you have to drain it to fix the leak, you might as well replace the tank at that point. A new 40g tank is likely cheaper than the damage it'll do (both to your house and your livestock) if it gets worse and dumps all the water when you're not around to catch it.

Couple other things. If you have an ATO, remember that it's going to replace lost saltwater with freshwater and lower your salinity. Maybe turn that off. And until this is resolved, I wouldn't go without, at least, 20g of fresh saltwater ready to go, maybe even keep it heated.

The only fix I can think of, especially not knowing where the leak is, is to slather all the inside/bottom seams in a thick coat of reef tank-safe silicone. But check to see if that's something you can do with the livestock and water still in the tank. If you have to empty it to do that, again, just pick up a new tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back