Tank leaking!

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank sprung a pin hole leak at the bottom corner while I am away for business. At 11pm over the phone we were able to get it mostly plugged with a tooth pick and coral glue.
Any suggestions for a better fix until I can get livestock moved?
BBFA1739-F2C8-42E9-8770-7D1749CB0981.jpeg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank sprung a pin hole leak at the bottom corner while I am away for business. At 11pm over the phone we were able to get it mostly plugged with a tooth pick and coral glue.
Any suggestions for a better fix until I can get livestock moved?
BBFA1739-F2C8-42E9-8770-7D1749CB0981.jpeg

Coral glue INSIDE the tank, maybe? Just scoop some of that substrate away, glob coral glue into the corner.

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm this is interesting. Do you plan on getting a new tank or just trying to fix it? If you try to fix it, it might leak again sooner or later...

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar happen to me, glass seam on side, get a new tank as soon as possible, because the pressure of the water in the tank will only make leak larger eventually. I would plan for an emergency evacuation of the coral and fish, a tub that's not being used or large brute garbage can may serve as temporary home, just make sure you clean them and you have a way to maintain temp and waterflow. If you have a LFS you may ask them to hold some of your fish and/or coral. I tried the superglue on the inside and it was a mess, did not work. I have since replaced my tank and I have an emergency response plan in place. I lost a lot and because I was not prepared and I panicked when it happened. You at least have it stopped for now but don't delay.:oops:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flex tape inside, the pressure pushes against the tape towards the leak, outside you are fighting water pressure. Anywhere it makes a nasty mess if you try to reseal later.

The other material you may have in hand is the stick epoxy putty used for frags and rock work construction. Again, mash the 2 parts together and stick a wad inside the tank to mechanical plug or slow down the seep.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the stick of epoxy that people use for holding rock work. It will work it is actually a thing called Aquamend and its ment to fix leaking pipes. It will work we use a cracked aquarium at work to test it. Wipe the sides of the crack with alchohol to get the oils away if any. And slap a glob on.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.5%
Back