Tank Modification Question

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers!

I've got a tank modification I wanted to pose to the group. I've been looking for a specific dimension of tank, and finally found a used one for sale. The trouble is that it was previously drilled in the bottom for a closed loop system. I have no desire to use the CLS, which leaves me with a dilemma: I can either pass on the tank or I need to plug the three drilled CLS holes. For consideration, I'm looking to do a BB tank and want a clean look.

One possible idea would be to put in bulkheads and close these, but that would require rethinking my stand idea and come with possibilities of leaky bulkheads.

Another idea would be to seal the holes using a combination of acrylic and silicone. Insert an acrylic circle cutout into each of the holes, silicone in place, and then put a larger piece acrylic over that that has a wide overlap on the bottom of the tank. Silicone that in place.

Thoughts, comments on these ideas, new and different ideas?
I'll post a picture of the tank here in a followup post.

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers!

I've got a tank modification I wanted to pose to the group. I've been looking for a specific dimension of tank, and finally found a used one for sale. The trouble is that it was previously drilled in the bottom for a closed loop system. I have no desire to use the CLS, which leaves me with a dilemma: I can either pass on the tank or I need to plug the three drilled CLS holes. For consideration, I'm looking to do a BB tank and want a clean look.

One possible idea would be to put in bulkheads and close these, but that would require rethinking my stand idea and come with possibilities of leaky bulkheads.

Another idea would be to seal the holes using a combination of acrylic and silicone. Insert an acrylic circle cutout into each of the holes, silicone in place, and then put a larger piece acrylic over that that has a wide overlap on the bottom of the tank. Silicone that in place.

Thoughts, comments on these ideas, new and different ideas?
I'll post a picture of the tank here in a followup post.
Here's a picture of the tank.
d1048b0e458584c17cc7101fb2685cba.jpg

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am paranoid about holes in tanks.... even ones that are supposed to be there. In my mind, if there’s a hole, it can lead to leaks or breaks even if the hole has a bulkhead and plumbing. Like it or not, the integrity of the glass has been compromised. Knowing that, I would pass. Save your money and get something specifically designed for what you want. Get a tank with only the holes you plan on using. Just my .02.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use glass to patch the holes, and silicone because acrylic does not adhere well to silicone and is likely to fail . Glass patches, and I would put a square patch over the round hole for adhesion strength could work but might not look as pretty.

The pretty solution might be to get 1 large piece of glass that is just smaller than the inside of the bottom pane and silicone that into the tank like a new floor over the old one.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Kris's idea but I think I would always worry about it failing. Im just a paranoid person though.

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Kris's idea but I think I would always worry about it failing. Im just a paranoid person though.

If I go with this idea, I think I would hire someone to do it for me, rather than do it myself to minimize that possibility.

Buying the same tank brand new at the LFS would run roughly $1K; his used one is about $350. A new 93g at the LFS would be about $500. I'll have to do a cost/risk assessment to decide which way will work best for me. I certainly don't want to save money upfront only to come home to a flooded condo.

Still open to other ideas though!

@Bulk Reef Supply Thoughts from the #askBRSTV crew?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back