Tank move... but how?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Why would you recommend getting 3 of them? Even for the price 2, I could get a set of 10 buckets and lids, which seems more simple to move, so I'm leaning toward getting/sourcing the buckets for the move.
It was more for weight distribution, you could also use them to move live rock in stead of the black bins. I definitely agree that the 10 gallons are more easily managed. 70 gallons is a lot of water to move...

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was more for weight distribution, you could also use them to move live rock in stead of the black bins. I definitely agree that the 10 gallons are more easily managed. 70 gallons is a lot of water to move...
It is a lot to move but to me it's just more practical. The RODI unit I have is painfully slow and there's no guarantee I'll be able to set it up right away, and the nearest fish store is 20 minutes away- either way I'll need to haul large amounts of water :p

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually moved a 40 gallon breeder on 2 separate occasions I agree with most of the points that were previously stated above about how to move the rock corals and water my 2 cents from previous experience moving the same tank I would leave the sand in the tank drain as much water as you can and all your rock I had a 3” sand bed in mine and with one extra person it wasn’t a problem the first time I moved mine I emptied it all out and had nothing but problems for the next month after I set it back up cloudy ph and nitrates out of wack the second time around I left the sand in the tank after I set it back up it was cloudy for like the next 2 days and it went back to normal like I never even moved it

Valum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually moved a 40 gallon breeder on 2 separate occasions I agree with most of the points that were previously stated above about how to move the rock corals and water my 2 cents from previous experience moving the same tank I would leave the sand in the tank drain as much water as you can and all your rock I had a 3” sand bed in mine and with one extra person it wasn’t a problem the first time I moved mine I emptied it all out and had nothing but problems for the next month after I set it back up cloudy ph and nitrates out of wack the second time around I left the sand in the tank after I set it back up it was cloudy for like the next 2 days and it went back to normal like I never even moved it

I've moved tanks with the sand in before I just wouldn't want to recommend moving a tank with 5kg sand in and something go wrong I'd feel terrible

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I take the sand out today, or is that just unnecessary stress for the fish? If I could get a barebottom tank, it would make everything else a bit easier and less time-consuming tomorrow. that way I could rinse the sand and get out any waste before moving tomorrow. I could keep it in a bucket with a bit of saltwater if you guys think it's necessary, but otherwise I'll just keep the sand in the bucket.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all the posts- but I decided to go with about 15 buckets to transport everything. One of the buckets will be freshly-prepared water. I'm gonna rinse the sand to prevent much detritus from being transferred. I'll do the same for rock. Fish and corals will be individually bagged.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this move a few times with my 120g. Most recently 1.5 years ago. I have also helped many local reefers move. You want to make up as much new water as you can before the move. I mix the water in as big a container as you can find but for the actual move I use 5g buckets.
Do NOT use any of the old water once you start disturbing the sand bed even a little. And definitely give that sand a very very good rinsing before you put it in the new tank.

40g is such an easy move. I would get 12x 5g buckets. I prefer the old salt buckets as they have the rubber o-ring so no water drips out in transport. Your pickup bed will be fine for the standard home depot buckets and lids though. Just give it a good wash down after if you don't have a liner.

The coral frags I can pick off the sand bed or easily pull off the rock gets bagged or in tupperware. The rest stays on the rocks and goes in the buckets.

For any tank move I usually calculate 75% of total water volume including sump and mix up that much new water beforehand. I do it a day before and have powerheads pointed at the surface the whole time to make sure it is well oxygenated.

Day of the move I would fil 10 of your 5g buckets with 3g of the new water. I then fill some tupperware with old tank water for the frag transport.

I then pull as many corals as I can off and get them packed away.
Next step is to top off the remaining 10 buckets with 1 to 1.5g of old tank water that should still be almost crystal clear.

I then fill the extra 2 buckets with old tank water. We don't care if this water is clear or not as we use it to rinse the rock when it comes out before we put it in transport buckets.

Now you are ready for the dirty work. Pull the rock out with what ever coral is attached and give it a good swishing in one of the buckets full of old tank water. You will be amazed at the amount of waste that is stored in the crevices. Give it a second rinse in the other bucket of old tank water. Then place in one of the 10 buckets with new salt water.

Repeat this until you are down to just sand.

Empty the 2x 5g buckets that you just used to rinse the rocks and fill them with sand. Do NOT put this sand back in your tank without thoroughly rinsing until the water is totally clear. There is so much waste in that sand it can cause serious issues. There are many threads on here about tank crashes after disturbing sand bed. Most people use a garden hose ans rinse the sand with fresh water as the nitrifying bacteria housed in a sand bed is very minimal. I always keep a cup or two of old sand and rinse it with salt water in an attempt to keep the biodiversity alive but this is probably overkill probably pointless as the sand bed will surely repopulate fairly quickly with what is on the live rock. But i do it anyway because I'm crazy. I do this rinsing long after the tank has been moved and setup. I usually run the new tank a couple days bare bottom as the sand rinsing is the biggest pain and i always lack the motivation to do it after a big move.

Once you have the new water mixed up its really only a 2 hour process to break that tank down and get things packaged for the move.

I always make sure I have a couple days where I'm able to use both places but if you cant do that then the tank break down should be the last thing you do before vacating the old place and the first thing you setup at the new place to minimize the time the stuff sits in those buckets without oxygen. Longest I have let them sit in buckets is about 12 hours but I'm sure they can go longer.

Have fun.

Here is a pic of the 120g i have moved a few times. Maybe 50-60 pieces of coral and more lbs of rock than I care to think about. Never lost a piece of coral and only 1 fish died from being squished by a rock.

Screenshot_2020-05-08-00-20-07.png

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this move a few times with my 120g. Most recently 1.5 years ago. I have also helped many local reefers move. You want to make up as much new water as you can before the move. I mix the water in as big a container as you can find but for the actual move I use 5g buckets.
Do NOT use any of the old water once you start disturbing the sand bed even a little. And definitely give that sand a very very good rinsing before you put it in the new tank.

40g is such an easy move. I would get 12x 5g buckets. I prefer the old salt buckets as they have the rubber o-ring so no water drips out in transport. Your pickup bed will be fine for the standard home depot buckets and lids though. Just give it a good wash down after if you don't have a liner.

The coral frags I can pick off the sand bed or easily pull off the rock gets bagged or in tupperware. The rest stays on the rocks and goes in the buckets.

For any tank move I usually calculate 75% of total water volume including sump and mix up that much new water beforehand. I do it a day before and have powerheads pointed at the surface the whole time to make sure it is well oxygenated.

Day of the move I would fil 10 of your 5g buckets with 3g of the new water. I then fill some tupperware with old tank water for the frag transport.

Next step is to top off the remaining 10 buckets with 1 to 1.5g of old tank water that should still be almost crystal clear.

I then fill the extra 2 buckets with old tank water. We don't care if this water is clear or not as we use it to rinse the rock when it comes out before we put it in transport buckets.

Now you are ready for the dirty work. Pull the rock out with what ever coral is attached and give it a good swishing in one of the buckets full of old tank water. You will be amazed at the amount of waste that is stored in the crevices. Give it a second rinse in the other bucket of old tank water. Then place in one of the 10 buckets with new salt water.

Empty the 2x 5g buckets that you just used to rinse the rocks and fill them with sand. Do NOT put this sand back in your tank without thoroughly rinsing until the water is totally clear. There is so much waste in that sand it can cause serious issues. There are many threads on here about tank crashes after disturbing sand bed. Most people use a garden hose ans rinse the sand with fresh water as the nitrifying bacteria housed in a sand bed is very minimal. I always keep a cup or two of old sand and rinse it with salt water in an attempt to keep the biodiversity alive but this is probably overkill probably pointless as the sand bed will surely repopulate fairly quickly with what is on the live rock. But i do it anyway because I'm crazy. I do this rinsing long after the tank has been moved and setup. I usually run the new tank a couple days bare bottom as the sand rinsing is the biggest pain and i always lack the motivation to do it after a big move.

Once you have the new water mixed up its really only a 2 hour process to break that tank down and get things packaged for the move.

I always make sure I have a couple days where I'm able to use both places but if you cant do that then the tank break down should be the last thing you do before vacating the old place and the first thing you setup at the new place to minimize the time the stuff sits in those buckets without oxygen. Longest I have let them sit in buckets is about 12 hours but I'm sure they can go longer.

Have fun.

Here is a pic of the 120g i have moved a few times. Maybe 50-60 pieces of coral and more lbs of rock than I care to think about. Never lost a piece of coral and only 1 fish died from being squished by a rock.

Screenshot_2020-05-08-00-20-07.png
Lucky for me, I moved all my stuff out of the old place and literally the only thing I have to do is move the tank and all the inhabitants. I plan on doing it in one swoop, however many hours that may be.

Since I took all the circulating pumps out of the tank, I doubled the flow of the return pump (I'm currently making sure none of the corals are upset about the increased flow, which none of them seem to be. It should only be for 18 hours or so, so regardless I'm sure they will be perfectly fine.

75% seems like a great number, but I'm not sure I can mix up 30 gallons of new water by tomorrow- I have the RODI unit running now, and I'll make as much water as I can. I was planning on running all the water I siphon out through a filter sock, just in case anything else is trying to come to the new place, so I'm sure I can get the majority of my water from the old tank- I'll be sure to do a water change as soon as I can after the move to minimize any effects of using the old water. (No worries- once I start knocking up the sand I won't use any of the water).

Also lucky for me, my frags haven't quite grown onto any rockwork- I'm an LPS nut and have only been in the hobby for about 2 years, so no insane growth onto the rocks yet. That saves me a bit of work for bagging livestock.

Most of all- thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it :)

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on moving my tank about 40 minutes away from my current place, and I am having trouble ironing out the details.

For one, should I individually bag all my corals? I don't have many colonies- I have a cynarina and an acanthophyllia, but otherwise all my corals should be easily baggable. Another thing I've heard is to get a frag rack for a 5 gallon bucket and transport all the frags that way. Which would be better?

Also, I'm thinking of keeping all my current water as well- I have about a 70 gallon system including the sump, so I was thinking of getting something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...acrfBC3pJSVGZ8mNA7hoC4BIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd put the rock and water in these, with the 2 fish I have and all the corals bagged (unless you guys like the bucket route). Then I'd set up the tank with all the water and float the bags, install the heaters, and then re acclamate everything. I'd keep the sand with less than an inch of water over it- I'll do a water change for the 2 days before the move and siphon the sand real good to minimize the stuff knocked up, which shouldn't be a ton considering I just replaced the sand bed a few weeks ago and I continue to siphon.

Any other tips or methods I should be following would be greatly appreciated.
When we moved ours we used Lowe's and homedepot buckets with lids (they seal better than that box) we put all live rock and water into the buckets fish went into one with no Rock so they didn't get hurt. The few corals and anemones we bagged individually for transport, but put them in the buckets with air bubblers and heaters until be we're ready to put them into the tank... That work well for us, but we were only dealing with 40 gallons...

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we moved ours we used Lowe's and homedepot buckets with lids (they seal better than that box) we put all live rock and water into the buckets fish went into one with no Rock so they didn't get hurt. The few corals and anemones we bagged individually for transport, but put them in the buckets with air bubblers and heaters until be we're ready to put them into the tank... That work well for us, but we were only dealing with 40 gallons...
Oh and we didn't re use the sand...we were too scared after hearing all the nightmares people have delt with...we just used the caribsea live sand. But our tank is smaller, the live rock and water kept our tank pretty steady after that...we just paid close attention to it. Someone else may have different thoughts, so ask around...

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have fun.

I'm not going to lie, I am very jealous of your tank!!! So pretty!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back