Tank move into FW

BigMack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to move in a few weeks... I'm not really set up in the new place yet, but I have a red sea max-s that I am setting up. It was formerly used for FW Discus... what precautions should I take before I transfer my fish to it?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just rinse it out with some bleach and the ro water a few times. Most diseases aren't transferable, and it's not likely much residue will exist if you rinse with ro water.

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I rinsed my used 125gal with tap water....couldn't get it all out and half didn't care. Added used sand that I cleaned outside with the hose...wasn't completely dry...prev tank was used for FW with copper....I cleaned it as best I could, left what water was hard to get out...then filled with fresh saltwater waited 2 weeks and transferred fish corals and inverts....0 Deaths in that system....I take that back I did have a cleaner shrimp fall into the overflow which has since been made safe.

So officially my response is rinse with tap water, drain, and fill. Begin the cycle as soon as you can.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saltwater tank was a freshwater QT then I switched salt and it become a saltwater QT for months, the tank was treated with heavy copper and other medicines for long long time and all the silicone turned into deep blue color, then I just do water change and added activated carbon pellets then add fishes in, nothing happen to them they are still alive and healthy today. Don't over reacting or thinking lol just do it with some cautions and you will be fine!

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I changed the fw over to sw( I put the sw from the hex into the breeder and the fw from the breeder to the hex..) I just drained, wiped out with a paper towel and filled back up with the salt water. Been over two weeks and all is well in both. FW doesnt have anything transferrable to sw, from my understanding. We use sw dips to treat sick fish cause the pathogens would die off in the salinity, and I have read of fw dips for the same reason, so I saw no reason to do anything more, honestly.

rblair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I moved, I took down my 90 fw, rinsed it out with the hose, took it to the new house and set it up. The next morning I brought the sw, live rock and livestock and put it in. That was in June, still running the 90 as FOWLR, moved the coral back to the 180 once it was set up.

Back