Tank move questions.

bsharding1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 inch sandbed in my 55 gallon I started around Thanksgiving. I've always had good results and like to use a DSB. I've quickly grown to hate my 55 since it is so narrow and got a used 75 with corner overflow.

I plan to transfer at much water as possible to keep the parameters close. I have a few corals and clowns, do I need to acclimate them with a drip before transfer or not since a lot of the water will be from the old tank? I also have a condy anemone that I know is more sensitive.

SInce the sand is not very old, can I move some or most of it? I'd rather not buy all new sand but not sure if the DSB is safe to move anymore.

Thank you.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as temp., PH, & salinity are matched there should be no problems.
DSB can go either way, I would try a vacuum & see if it's clean enough.
I know it will be high in PO4. If not take a hefty 2 cups to seed a new bed.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a bunch of safe moves

There's lots of ways to customize your move but only one way is six years with no losses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bsharding1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a bunch of safe moves

There's lots of ways to customize your move but only one way is six years with no losses.
It looks like the good rinsing method is the way to go if you reuse the sand.

Is the sand new enough that it isn't toxic? I was thinking slowly taking small scoops out of the existing tank to wash. Trying to avoid putting the livestock in buckets while they wait for the sand to be ready.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say the sand is going to be fine to move. Tank hasn’t been set up long. You’ll have more area to cover now. Your sand bed won’t really be deep anymore.

Great move to upgrade. 75 is a great tank. 55 is pretty much the worst for reefing.

FishNerd4Ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 inch sandbed in my 55 gallon I started around Thanksgiving. I've always had good results and like to use a DSB. I've quickly grown to hate my 55 since it is so narrow and got a used 75 with corner overflow.

I plan to transfer at much water as possible to keep the parameters close. I have a few corals and clowns, do I need to acclimate them with a drip before transfer or not since a lot of the water will be from the old tank? I also have a condy anemone that I know is more sensitive.

SInce the sand is not very old, can I move some or most of it? I'd rather not buy all new sand but not sure if the DSB is safe to move anymore.

Thank you.
I would rinse the sand before moving even though it is new. Detritus builds up too quickly to risk it, especially since you have a deep sand bed.

OP
OP
B

bsharding1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say the sand is going to be fine to move. Tank hasn’t been set up long. You’ll have more area to cover now. Your sand bed won’t really be deep anymore.

Great move to upgrade. 75 is a great tank. 55 is pretty much the worst for reefing.
Great, thanks.

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank with a relatively shallow sand bed (approximately 1 inch - 2 inches) and I plan on upgrading my tank to a 25 gallon when I move into my apartment. Should I be concerned about adding new sand once I transfer the water from the old tank to the new tank?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only if you want 100% certainty of success. not saying that jesting it means that if you didn't pre rinse and moved all over old sand, majority of times it doesn't recycle and majority of times a GHA or cyano event soon follows, but its not likely to die.

conversely

for rinsing, we see total control on both fronts above and zero deviation, its not a matter of preference its a matter of % risk accepted. the safe way is directly logged and already known. Anyone online who mentions you keeping old sand, even a handful, does not have a multi example thread on the practice they have just their own tank. above is fifty pages of total reef control during moves, its the going safe way no debate there.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back