Tank move to new apartment

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I’m going to be moving to a new apartment in a couple weeks and am starting to plan how I’m going to move my tank.

Luckily the new place isn’t too far away. maybe a 5 minute drive.

since it’s such a close drive I was wondering if I could possibly just keep everything in the tank minus maybe half to 2/3rds of the water instead of tearing everything down and trying to catch the fish and bucket them.

the tank is only an evo 13.5 so weight isn’t much of an issue. I just figure I’ll have to drive a little more carefully so things don’t slosh around too bad.

This is going to be my first time moving a tank so let me know what you think and if there’s anything else I should be thinking about please let me know. All tips are welcome!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a Fluval EVO 13.5, sure. I would probably try to reduce it to less than half water volume if possible. Just make sure you really support it well while moving and transporting. You may want to remove any rocks or corals and place in a separate plastic bucket with water to avoid anything toppling over and breaking the glass (and then you can use some of the water you empty from the tank for this). You don't necessarily need anything large - even a plastic ice cream pail will suffice (and then you can place a lid on those as well).

Another suggestion is to take some saranwrap and cover the top of the tank to avoid any spills (it's only a 5-minute trip, so the effect will be negligible).

OP
OP
T

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a Fluval EVO 13.5, sure. I would probably try to reduce it to less than half water volume if possible. Just make sure you really support it well while moving and transporting. You may want to remove any rocks or corals and place in a separate plastic bucket with water to avoid anything toppling over and breaking the glass (and then you can use some of the water you empty from the tank for this). You don't necessarily need anything large - even a plastic ice cream pail will suffice (and then you can place a lid on those as well).

Another suggestion is to take some saranwrap and cover the top of the tank to avoid any spills (it's only a 5-minute trip, so the effect will be negligible).

yeah I originally was going to just say 2/3rds of the water but wasn’t sure if that was too much so added the half-2/3rds lol. I’ll definitely be removing most of it anyway.

as for removing the rocks incase they topple. I glued everything together when I built the scape so it’s basically just one big rock now. Because of this I realize I can take it out fairly easily but my main reason for wanting to leave everything in is to reduce stress to the fish as much as possible. I have a super timid cryptic wrasse in there that I don’t want to bug lol.

Great suggestion on the seranwrap! I’ll definitely do that. thanks!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back