Tank nuke!

CloudIX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hate to hear you nuke the tank, just seems so drastic. I'm just about out of ideas myself. You don't have one of those air-fresheners that sprays automatically near the tank do you? Did you check for stray voltage? I agree that it has to be something that is getting in your tank, the million dollar question is what.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this tank been set up?

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried different test kits?
Have someone else test your water?
Switched salt mixes?
Check your sand bed look for a screw or nail that may have fallen in
Can you grow aptaisa?
Water smell funky
Refractometer or specific gravity hydrometer
Water clarity?
How are fish dying ? Just randomly or do they get sick
Do you have a glass top on your tank?
Pictures of the tank and surrounding area
Do you have children in the house?
What do you put into your tank ? Additives, supplements , top off water ect
Do you see any rust or salt creep on anything attached to the tank
There is literally anything that could be your problem
I have heard your same situation being cause from a screw that fell into the sand bed

Bleaching your tank is not a good idea . The main reason being you might have this problem all over again because of chlorine residue and this probably won't fix your problem .. It will just happen again and again once the chemistry balances out. Your problem honestly doesn't sound biologicalit sound physical or chemical. Meaning that bleaching your tank will only delay you being happy with your tank .

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did u buy any corals from Mel? maybe u got the same bugs he has?
thats jacked up ******! i wouldnt give this crap to anyone (except bill) :)

but... i have seen this on a select few other pieces... and plus... i got it from somewhere... so it is possible that you have the same "bug"

if you do... you'll never see it except with a microscope. :(

... ps... just messin with ya Mike.. you know i love ya! :-D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin, why didnt you post earlier? before you got to the point of mass bio nuclear decimation!

but, that's beside the point. if you really feel you have exhausted all your efforts and want to start fresh, then this is what I would do.

pull all the rock out and set it outside. let it sit for a few weeks and then come back to it, and begin rinsing it with fresh water. You can just get rid of all substrate i.e. sand. then fill your tank with fresh water and if I remember correctly you have a 220 gallon tank. Go get 6 percent bleach and mix 6 cups of it into the tank. Let it sit for 12 hours and then drain. fill it up again with fresh water and let it sit for a day or two and drain. Then fill it again and drain 2 days later.

my reasoning on the amount of bleach is based on AWWA(American Water Works Association) standards. This will be in the range of about 200 ppm of bleach which according to them is what will completely sterilize potable water tanks used for drinking water. I sterilize water tanks for my job, and it doesnt seem like much with all that water, but it kill anything funky in the tank, and at the same time not make your eyes and nose burn...which will be good since it's sitting in your house.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

but... i have seen this on a select few other pieces... and plus... i got it from somewhere... so it is possible that you have the same "bug"

And he aint jokin, As i have taken pieces from his tank (After Inspection and Dipping) To try and save some of his SPS! And It has worked with most but not all, But the important factor is my tank is Bug Free and Mel has checked with the Scope many times to be sure.
What ever they are they are just not worms but opertunists that will eat what ever is left after the SPS is gone WORD
Bill

OP
OP
J

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys think I should just throw it out side for a while ill try that. I'm downgrading tanks to a smaller tank. I think I'm going to get ac to order me a marienland 150DD sp all the sand and everything will get tossed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take it slow this time, make sure you have enough rocks/sand, and wait til the tank is fully cycled. Also slowly add corals/fish to your tank.

good luck.
If you guys think I should just throw it out side for a while ill try that. I'm downgrading tanks to a smaller tank. I think I'm going to get ac to order me a marienland 150DD sp all the sand and everything will get tossed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haha I know bro I'm just teasing since he can't figure out what's goin on :) much love. And I'm just glad u finally reemember my name so I gotta give ya hard time.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back