Tank nuke!

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about to get the bleach! Had a couple questions before I add it. Should I let my skimmer in the tank running? Is the bleach to water ratio enough to hurt the carpet if I drip water on it?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank hates me! For some reason live stock has been dying for no reason that I can find/detect. I'm just at the point I want to start over as I have searched, tested, and examined everything I can think of. I the only thing I haven't lost in the tank coral wise is 2 types of.mushrooms. I'm also taking this nuke time to down grade tank size a little.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt nuking the tank will do you any good and would most likely be even worse. It's a safe bet that the problem is caused by you doing something wrong or not at all. In this case, the problems will still continue. Reducing the size of the tank could make it even worse.

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think nuking the tank will help you at all... especially if it involves killing off livestock and beneficial bacteria.

Check your parameters.

OP
OP
J

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've checked, rechecked, and rechecked again everything, can't find anything I consider weird. My parameters are

Temp 77
Salinity 35ppm
Ph 8.2
Calcium 400
Alk 10dkh
Mag 1240
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
phosphate .05

I've had these consistent for months.
Checked for voltage leaks, copper, I'm using ro water at 0tds. good lighting. Done my water changes and still nothing. Can't grow anything in this tank. Had a nano before it and I couldn't make things die. I could be doing something wrong, but I can't even get darn star polyps to grow in this tank.

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have algae problem? ULNS? Coral Bleeched like Jays?

Last edited:

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you diy your silicone? I ask because I used the wrong acrylic sealant to fix my sump, everything died until I replaced it.

OP
OP
J

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have algae problem? ULNS? Coral Bleeched like Jays?

Some algae, not a lot. I don't have a ulns. The stony stuff goes startch white in 1-5 days no matter where it is in the tank. Softies I have minimal polpy extension, followed by no polpy extension on a 3-10 average.

OP
OP
J

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you diy your silicone? I ask because I used the wrong acrylic sealant to fix my sump, everything died until I replaced it.

I did DIY my sump, got aquarium safe silicone followed buy a couple day curring time. Silicone came from gc when I picked up the sump tank.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some algae, not a lot. I don't have a ulns. The stony stuff goes startch white in 1-5 days no matter where it is in the tank. Softies I have minimal polpy extension, followed by no polpy extension on a 3-10 average.

this is ULNS how much are you feeding? are fish dying also or just corals? how do you know you dont have ULNS its not something you can really test for.. the only real evidence is low phos like .0X and corals bleaching and dying no matter the lighting. what kind of lighting do you have?

CloudIX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about the rocks? Did you diy the rocks and forget to cure? If they are live rock where did you get them? Did you aquascape and use the wrong foam or glue? Are any of your plumbing fixtures not PVC?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like my brother said, got a cree setup. Spoke to bill at reefled and came up wig what I have. No diy rock. Got it from 3 places. Few from critter that I liked. The rest from 2 differnt people. One guy I got rock from my brother also has some from, his are doing good. The other was an old club guy from s.h., can't remember his name. Might have been Chris.

No foam. Drinking water safe glue. Brother used the same can of glue on his. Only pvc and spa flex.

Last edited:

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of par are u getting with you LEDs? sandbed and top of corals? also watch this video from about 4:30-5:30 he explains ULNS LA Fishguys, Bio Pellets, Episode 107 pt1 - YouTube and why corals need some nitrate and phos. but yea ULNS shouldnt kill your fish also. if fish and corals are both dying then youve got something in your tank could be soap or anything. thats gona be hard to track down if it is. do you run carbon?

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK changes too much? I think that's the most common RTN reason, check your dosing pump? have someone else test your water?

Did the flesh became very thin before the SPS died?

OP
OP
J

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run carbon. Only wash my hands good with hot water before swimming time. Try to keep my hands out much as possible. I've tried everything I can think of. Spent plenty of time surfing. Google looking for things to look at. I'm just ready to cut my loses and start over fresh. Little smaller tank as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back