Prime ratio for soaking Socks

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine off gases at a certain rate. Whatever chlorine is left after a double wash cycle will off gas very quickly. Letting the socks dry for 8+ hours is enough I let mine dry for at least 3 days before packing them away.
I change the socks every 3-4 days, when im on my last set I wash the others. 3 days later its time for a change I go get the clean ones put the others I'm not using away and change out the used ones and the cycle starts a new. I have 20 7' and 24 4".
Pretty much my exact same process. I just don't have as many socks as you do. I end up doing a load of socks about once a week. Have to do one tonight in fact.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much my exact same process. I just don't have as many socks as you do. I end up doing a load of socks about once a week. Have to do one tonight in fact.
Right now I have 2 tanks that use 2-4" socks each and the Pond that uses 2-7'. I dont want to wash socks once a week lol.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I just ordered a box of socks.
LOL, I feel yeah
well I just ordered a box of socks. hopefully it gets me through a month.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would need a lot more to do it once a month lol. And 50 micron socks are not as cheap. I used to have roller matts but I took them all out. Did not feel like they work as well as 50 micron socks did. Even 50 micron fleece in the rollers did not seem to work as well as the socks, so I went back.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use oxyclean over bleach.

1) Persoak, in oxyclean.
2) wash in oxyclean
3) Rinse + Prime in the fabric softener release

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine smell like bleach pretty bad after i wash them. I just rinse them out with hot water from the faucet and it takes care of it

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternative to Prime is Seachem SAFE. Powdered version. As for Prime, since no life involved then using their directions on bleaching Purigen should suffice if drying not an option due to needing sooner than later. Can also buy test strips for total chlorine just to play it safe as I don't trust my nose to always function such as when I have a bad cold.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much more to add to this discussion, but when I swap out socks, I place them in a 5 gallon bucket of bleach water and once a month I wash them in the washing machine with only hot water and bleach and a 2nd rinse. I then stand them upside down and hit them with a fan for 24 hours, followed by another 48 hours of fanless drying. They come out looking just like new and the process is so easy, I've never felt compelled to swap socks for floss or a roller system.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much more to add to this discussion, but when I swap out socks, I place them in a 5 gallon bucket of bleach water and once a month I wash them in the washing machine with only hot water and bleach and a 2nd rinse. I then stand them upside down and hit them with a fan for 24 hours, followed by another 48 hours of fanless drying. They come out looking just like new and the process is so easy, I've never felt compelled to swap socks for floss or a roller system.
I’m thinking I can build a PVC rack that would slide over the kids boot and mitten dryer and drill a bunch of holes in the PVC under the socks. Could probably dry 16 socks pretty quick.

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 22

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using the washing machine run the unit on a cycle before putting them in. So that if whoever used it before you put too much detergent in there it can get it out. Also only need a couple capfuls of bleach depending on how many socks youre washing at once. Im a appliance repair tech and youd be surprised when you go to turn the unit on without putting soap in it, how much residual soap is left from the previous wash

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using the washing machine run the unit on a cycle before putting them in. So that if whoever used it before you put too much detergent in there it can get it out. Also only need a couple capfuls of bleach depending on how many socks youre washing at once. Im a appliance repair tech and youd be surprised when you go to turn the unit on without putting soap in it, how much residual soap is left from the previous wash
Yup, I start mine empty on the rinse/spin cycle to let it rinse out any detergents etc left behind. Then I put in the socks and bleach on heavy duty cycle hot water, pre rinse extra rinse extra spin. Then toss into dryer for an hour and done.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the washing machine as well. Although I don’t do a pre rinse to remove any leftover soap I do add a capful of bleach, when that wash is finished I then run the through again with no bleach. Then let them dry and into the tank the go. I do turn them inside out the first run and back to normal the second.

TLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told not to use anything in an aquarium that ever had soap used on it. I know the washing machine uses soap..... not saying it's wrong to use a washing machine, just wondering if being that concerned about anything that has soap on it and being rinsed thoroughly is overkill.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rinse them without bleach in the washer machine. If needed, I soak them with peroxide and water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back