Prime ratio for soaking Socks

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Prime label has a ratio for dosing new tank water use. Do you guys have a certain ratio for soaking socks after a bleaching to neutralize chlorine? I didn’t see a thread for it. Figure it would be higher than tank water.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m not that confident. My luck is grab it too soon. Smart would be to test it but yeah, I’m lazy.
Get like 8 or 10 socks and run them through the washer when half of them are dirty, that way you will give them plenty of drying time ;)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So the Prime label has a ratio for dosing new tank water use. Do you guys have a certain ratio for soaking socks after a bleaching to neutralize chlorine? I didn’t see a thread for it. Figure it would be higher than tank water.
I use a cheaper product called API Tap Water Conditioner. I use 4-5 capfulls in a 5 gallon bucket for a hour, then hang out to air dry.
I know that the bleach will dissipate but it's just a thing.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i run the filter socks through the washing machine twice on hot/whites. i let air dry at home, then use the next day. i've never used prime for my socks. i do, however, turn my skimmer off for about 5 minutes after putting the socks in the sump to avoid it from overflowing/overproducing bubbles

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chlorine will off gas before 24hrs. I dont remember exact timing, then if you are still worried throw them in a bucket with 4-5 caps and let them sit for 15-20 minutes. You will be fine either way. I toss mine in the washer with 3-4 cups of bleach wash them 2 times no bleach on second wash and 3 days later I'm using them again. Wht 3 days cause that when I change them. No prime or anything else.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just put the socks in your dryer. Chlorine completely breaks down and becomes safe once its completely dried.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I rinse mine under high pressure water in laundry tub. There is probably no need for bleach. If you want to use it plain sodium thiosulfate will be much cheaper. Rinse them well and put in a bucket of water with thiosulfate for a couple minutes. Letting them dry etc is also probably enough. Some people have also dosed low dose bleach in their tanks but that’s another discusaion

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse mine with water pressure currently but was just looking to get them whiter and reduce the nutrients. Thats why I was wondering what the ratio was to neutralize chlorine.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse mine with water pressure currently but was just looking to get them whiter and reduce the nutrients. Thats why I was wondering what the ratio was to neutralize chlorine.
Like I said, it does not matter the ratio. All you need to do is make sure the socks are completely dry before you put them back in tanks. I add bleach to all my wash loads of socks (mixed 4" and 7" Micron 50 socks so they capture a lot) on the heavy duty cycle extra rinse cycle extra long spin then throw into the dryer for 60min on high. Done. Just make sure the bleach is plain old bleach with no additives like no splash or anything else. It needs to be pure bleach.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like I said, it does not matter the ratio. All you need to do is make sure the socks are completely dry before you put them back in tanks. I add bleach to all my wash loads of socks (mixed 4" and 7" Micron 50 socks so they capture a lot) on the heavy duty cycle extra rinse cycle extra long spin then throw into the dryer for 60min on high. Done. Just make sure the bleach is plain old bleach with no additives like no splash or anything else. It needs to be pure bleach.

It actually does depend on a couple things. Like I said - I don't use bleach at all - but depending on the amount of bleach used (and the strength of the bleach) - it may take longer or more rinsing/drying. Some people want a 'double check' - or maybe want to rinse them quick and be done - without waiting for drying. Again - as I said - there are at least a couple threads where people add bleach itself into a tank for various reasons (while there is livestock inside). So you're right - it's probably a moot point. You're absolutely correct not to use 'scented bleach'

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it was only bleach without additives for smell or no splash then all that needs to be done is to completely dry it. One round in the drier for an hour on high well completely brake down the bleach and it will be safe.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as it was only bleach without additives for smell or no splash then all that needs to be done is to completely dry it. One round in the drier for an hour on high well completely brake down the bleach and it will be safe.
Given the fact that it would probably be safe to put back in the tank without doing any drying, you're probably right. However, Bleach is not necessarily 'inactivated' by drying, at least not completely

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so then you really think don't bleach at all? Would bringing water to a boil, removing it from burner, then letting it soak for a few minutes be better? I know some people don't use socks at all and just have a better CUC.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the fact that it would probably be safe to put back in the tank without doing any drying, you're probably right. However, Bleach is not necessarily 'inactivated' by drying, at least not completely
I have talked to a number of chemists real chemists by trade not play, and they agree and there are lots of scientific papers other information out there. This is not even in debate by the chemistry world. Its settled. Once bleach dries it breaks down into components that pose no harm to our aquariums. Please show me scientific sites or discussions by actual chemists who say otherwise.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine off gases at a certain rate. Whatever chlorine is left after a double wash cycle will off gas very quickly. Letting the socks dry for 8+ hours is enough I let mine dry for at least 3 days before packing them away.
I change the socks every 3-4 days, when im on my last set I wash the others. 3 days later its time for a change I go get the clean ones put the others I'm not using away and change out the used ones and the cycle starts a new. I have 20 7' and 24 4".

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back