Tank Number 4 - 20 Gallon Long Build has Started

Davehla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my four year old came up to me a couple weeks ago and asked when is he getting a tank in his room.... So what is a dad to do except build a tank for him!

In all fairness his 9 year old brother has a 28 JBJ in his room and his 7 year old sister has a glow fish tank. (Don't hate on the freshwater, she wanted pink neon fish!) We also have a 120 display in our living room. Call me crazy, but this time I am going as minimalist as possible! We are probably going to keep the livestock limited to a clean up crew and a pair of clown fish. Maybe a carpet anemone if I can find one at a good price.

I am using a 20 gallon long aquarium that I purchased from Petco during their $1 per gallon sale. Now you all are going to think I am crazy, but I am going to start with a HOB filter... Before you think I am too crazy I also had an extra Eshopps Nano protein skimmer laying around that I will add to remove biological matter.

This weekend we put the water in with an air stone and heater. (picture is boring) Our Tahitian Black sand should be arriving this weekend and then we will start our 3-4 week cycle.

Anyone have any luck keeping a system like this? Tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

If the system fails I can always add a sump. (I picked up four extra 10 gallons during the sale as well.)

New Tank.jpg

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"And YOU get a tank! And YOU get a tank! And YOU get a tank!"
:)

I love it! I'm anxiously waiting for the day when my oldest (currently 3) asks for her own tank. Any excuse to get more saltwater in the house, eh?

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water level looks really crooked...
Maybe consider getting some pads to even it out a bit.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Davehla

Davehla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"And YOU get a tank! And YOU get a tank! And YOU get a tank!"
:)

I love it! I'm anxiously waiting for the day when my oldest (currently 3) asks for her own tank. Any excuse to get more saltwater in the house, eh?

So true DLHDesign! I’m excited to start fresh! My other two tanks have a Turk algae issue, so everything in this tank will be new!!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool, more future young reefers! My Grandkids love mine.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 20L with a HOB filter and skimmer for over a year and I've had great success. Although, I don't have any fish (just invertebrates) a pair of clowns is certainly do-able, but a carpet anemone... not too sure about that. It is my understanding they can grow quite massive.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back