Tank parameters

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve been trying to figure out if I need to be dosing anything in my 40 breeder. I’ve done testing over the last few days and I’ve found that my alk is always high and my mag is always low I’m not exactly sure what I need to do to fix this issue
Any help would be appreciated thanks

ECA74477-AF95-419B-98A2-B77AD8C20DC1.jpeg

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mag you will want to get up, that's low...shoot for 1350

Alk would to need know what your nitrates and phosphates are, if they are low, your alk maybe high...

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve been trying to figure out if I need to be dosing anything in my 40 breeder. I’ve done testing over the last few days and I’ve found that my alk is always high and my mag is always low I’m not exactly sure what I need to do to fix this issue
Any help would be appreciated thanks

ECA74477-AF95-419B-98A2-B77AD8C20DC1.jpeg
Which salt are you using? That may be normal for your salt mix. Are you keeping coral or is this a FOWLR tank? If you are going to keep coral, what type? The answers to these questions will determine what you should do.

OP
OP
D

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which salt are you using? That may be normal for your salt mix. Are you keeping coral or is this a FOWLR tank? If you are going to keep coral, what type? The answers to these questions will determine what you should do.
I use reef crystals and I have a mix of softies and lps

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals and I have a mix of softies and lps

Those parameter look right for that salt mix, except for the Mag. Mag doesn't change very drastically in a tank, so my guess is that there is a testing error. Take a water sample to a trusted LFS and see what they say.

If you want lower ALK, you may want to change salt mixes. That is the easiest way to bring it down. If your NO3 and PO4 are in the low range, NO3<5 ppm and PO4< 0.05ppm, I would either increase your nutrients, or lower your ALK.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to Mag, Ur PH is low IMO, esp if your alk is that high - something is def off here assuming the measurements are correct.

With alk that high and ph that low, that usually means you have a co2 issue. Can either try to increase air exchange if co2 is higher than your room's co2 concentration. If already sufficient air exchange with room, then that means your room is high co2 (common in winter)

If that's the case either run your skimmer air from outside, or add a co2 scrubber, or if you dose Alk with sodium bicarbonate, switch to sodium carbonate instead

With PH at that lvl, your LPS will weaken over a long period time and generally will be very brittle and fragile, leading to reduced life span and increased risk of sudden deaths from either minor stressor or unexplained causes.

Edit: I would aim for 8.2 - 8.3ph. Under normal co2 levels, alk of 9 should be ph higher than 8.3

OP
OP
D

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those parameter look right for that salt mix, except for the Mag. Mag doesn't change very drastically in a tank, so my guess is that there is a testing error. Take a water sample to a trusted LFS and see what they say.

If you want lower ALK, you may want to change salt mixes. That is the easiest way to bring it down. If your NO3 and PO4 are in the low range, NO3<5 ppm and PO4< 0.05ppm, I would either increase your nutrients, or lower your ALK.
I tested nitrate and it was below 5 and I do not have a test for phosphate. I am having issues with cyano so I don’t think increasing nutritions is a good idea. Maybe I’ll get a new salt mix

OP
OP
D

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to Mag, Ur PH is low IMO, esp if your alk is that high - something is def off here assuming the measurements are correct.

With alk that high and ph that low, that usually means you have a co2 issue. Can either try to increase air exchange if co2 is higher than your room's co2 concentration. If already sufficient air exchange with room, then that means your room is high co2 (common in winter)

If that's the case either run your skimmer air from outside, or add a co2 scrubber, or if you dose Alk with sodium bicarbonate, switch to sodium carbonate instead

With PH at that lvl, your LPS will weaken over a long period time and generally will be very brittle and fragile, leading to reduced life span and increased risk of sudden deaths from either minor stressor or unexplained causes.

Edit: I would aim for 8.2 - 8.3ph. Under normal co2 levels, alk of 9 should be ph higher than 8.3
The ph might be off since I used a cheap api test kit. I did everything else with salfert so I trust those numbers more

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMM, the need to dose is a matter of consumption.
In your data, I’m not seeing much consumption, perhaps just some testing flux which seems minor.

That being said, MG is running low and just needs to be put in range 1260-1360ppm.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystal's tends to have high dKH...12-13 in my experience. Ive heard gripes about some batches having mag about 1100. Might be one of those.

Since you dont have a lot of stony coral and aren't dosing slightly low mag won't bother anything. The low PH is more of a concern.

OP
OP
D

Deontae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystal's tends to have high dKH...12-13 in my experience. Ive heard gripes about some batches having mag about 1100. Might be one of those.

Since you dont have a lot of stony coral and aren't dosing slightly low mag won't bother anything. The low PH is more of a concern.
Alright so maybe I need a better ph test so I can trust the results and then go from there

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back