OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, this is actually a very low powered light and not great for most corals. Softies and only some lps like vette said, something like a torch is going to want higher par lighting and definitely no sps unless very very high in the water collumn. Not sure how to run this light specifically but I would max the blue spectrum, run only around 10% red and figure out the green and white by visual appeal, but im sure others on the forum have more specific settings if you do a quick search

Not really a great option for a tank without a separate refugium to sustain the pod population. You would be suprised how fast fish can get through pods. You might be fine if you get one that is eating prepared foods to supplement the diet
Thanks for the info, I turned up the lighting a significant amount. What other cool fish could I add that are unique like a mandarin goby but could eat pellets instead.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I turned up the lighting a significant amount. What other cool fish could I add that are unique like a mandarin goby but could eat pellets instead.
I was thinking a type of wrasse, because they bury themselves and it would be cool to see but i have conchs and snails in the tank. Any type of wrasse that is reef safe and doesnt eat shrimp or snails?

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Biota group advertises Their captive bred Mandarins readily take prepared foods. You may want to discuss with them.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Biota group advertises Their captive bred Mandarins readily take prepared foods. You may want to discuss with them.

It says expert on many of the sights i was researching this species on. Is that true or just because of the copepod situation?

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read the same, but I have no personal experience with Mandarins. However, their specialized diet was my understanding why the were considered ‘expert’ and were recommended for large, well established tanks.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read the same, but I have no personal experience with Mandarins. However, their specialized diet was my understanding why the were considered ‘expert’ and were recommended for large, well established tanks.
Thanks, I’m thinking about skipping the mandarin and getting an easier to keep fish such as a invert safe wrasse.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m thinking about skipping the mandarin and getting an easier to keep fish such as a invert safe wrasse.
Update:

Have not been able to find a tail spot blenny at my lfs for about a month now. Have tried to get leather coral but they are insanely expensive currently. Meaning 60$ for a small one. However i got another conch for the tank. Meaning i now have four.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Have not been able to find a tail spot blenny at my lfs for about a month now. Have tried to get leather coral but they are insanely expensive currently. Meaning 60$ for a small one. However i got another conch for the tank. Meaning i now have four.
That’s a bit pricey for leathers. My LFS in N Texas has a bunch of toadstools cheap right, but they are fragging in house.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bit pricey for leathers. My LFS in N Texas has a bunch of toadstools cheap right, but they are fragging in house.
You happen to know anything about starry blennys and if they would thrive in my current tank? They look pretty cool

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I found a tailspot blenny and he has been doing great now for a few months. Upgraded my tank light also, so now i have a no lid tank and i am looking into getting a leather coral or mushroom.

F7644E6C-9A77-407E-8D21-9CA54D7E756D.jpeg

This is the light i got, coral seems alot happier now.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back