Tank redo options for fish

Go for the regal or skip

• Total voters

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my 180 gallon tank has been up and running for 10+ years I can tell the rock is starting to get absorbed with phosphate as its starting to be really hard to keep my nutrients under control. So now I am in the process of draining and ripping it all apart, deep cleaning all my equipment, replacing equipment and sadly QTing fish because I had an ich outbreak. I have a 40 breeder that I am using to house my corals that I have left and any clean up crew I may find. So here is my dilemma, I would love to get a already QTd regal angel from TSM when they can get me one but I also love LPS coral which they may pick at and eat. So if this was your tank what would you do? Play roulette with the angel and hope hes a bestest boy/girl and leaves the coral alone or skip it and not take the chance.

Also seeing as they are very shy I will list my fish list that may cause any issues...
- Purple Tang
- Yellow Tang
- Tomini Tang
- Transitioning Emperor Angel (Most likely getting re-homed now that I can easily catch him)
- Pair of clowns (if you go into their territory they become aggressive)

All the rest of the fish are pretty docile (Anthias, a few wrasse, dartfish, Royal Gamma)

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entirely depends on what you want more, the regal or the LPS. You probably can't have both.

Did the emperor not pick at LPS?

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entirely depends on what you want more, the regal or the LPS. You probably can't have both.

Did the emperor not pick at LPS?
He surprisingly left them all alone but he will get to big for my tank so unfortunately he has to go. Plus hes a jerk

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He surprisingly left them all alone but he will get to big for my tank so unfortunately he has to go. Plus hes a jerk

That is surprising.

Personally the regal is one of my favorite fish. If my tank was large enough, I'd take the chance. Worst case I'd have to have a full on SPS tank? I'll take that chance.

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is surprising.

Personally the regal is one of my favorite fish. If my tank was large enough, I'd take the chance. Worst case I'd have to have a full on SPS tank? I'll take that chance.
I am leaning towards taking the risk and hoping the regal just leaves the LPS alone. They are gorgeous fish, just need to have TSM get me one. Been doing a lot of reading up on them and they don't seem like a difficult fish if you get them from someone like TSM or Marine Collectors and they aren't small in size.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral >>> fish for me, so I would never tank that chance. You may feel differently, however.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the risk. I have a small Reef tank but my large tank is FOWLR. It has mushrooms, zoas and some BTA. If they eat em, so be it lol. Love the fish!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back