Tank Restart

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank up and running for 5 years now. Unfortunately something has gone terribly wrong in my tank in the last 4 months. All of my fish, snails and crabs have died and all of my coral. I have tested everything I can think of. Ran carbon, massive water changes, tested for stray voltage, ran fallow for 60 days, Triton ICP tests came back with no problems all levels in line. I have come to the point where the only thing left I can think of is a fresh start. Any tips or ideas on how to properly break down tank and start fresh? My plan is to drain all water completely in tank and sump. Throw away all live rock. Clean tank, sump and all equipment with bleach. Rinse thoroughly. Start new with fresh rock (Tampa bay saltwater package?)

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good plan for restarting the tank. As for the cause of death, its not difficult for a tank to die off. Scented candles, body spray, paint, residual soap, or any chemicals can cause a tank to crash. If there's an air vent close to the tank, chemicals can be transported from anywhere in your residence.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your tank. I would clean the pumps with citric acid and then rinse them well. For the tank and sump I have always used vinegar to clean. You could use the citric acid in the pump and sump also.

I think you have the right idea not trying to use the old rock as there could be something in there that could leach out later on.

OP
OP
MartyF

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good plan for restarting the tank. As for the cause of death, its not difficult for a tank to die off. Scented candles, body spray, paint, residual soap, or any chemicals can cause a tank to crash. If there's an air vent close to the tank, chemicals can be transported from anywhere in your residence.
Thanks. I have always been paranoid about those items and my tank is in our finished basement and have always told the wife no candles, air fresheners etc on that level.

OP
OP
MartyF

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your tank. I would clean the pumps with citric acid and then rinse them well. For the tank and sump I have always used vinegar to clean. You could use the citric acid in the pump and sump also.

I think you have the right idea not trying to use the old rock as there could be something in there that could leach out later on.
Thanks. Do you think I should use citric acid and vinegar instead of bleach?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do you think I should use citric acid and vinegar instead of bleach?
I have used bleach on tanks in the past but not on pumps. I expect it would be ok, but I am not certain. I have used citric acid on pumps without a problem. Note that vinegar can have issues with some pump equipment so I just don't use on any pumps.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

listen to this guy he know what is talking about

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bleach/water ratio would you recommend ?
When I maintained tanks for the LFS accounts (where I worked for 12 years), I just poured about a 1/2 cup of bleach per 5 gallons of hot water when I cleaned decor and equipment. Be careful not to breathe in steam from the bleach water as it can burn the lining of your lungs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back