Tank Restart

FishyThings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I am 2 days into the process and so far I have completely rinsed my sand, and sun-bleached and then rinse my rocks. I am going to let the rocks sit for another day then rinse them again. What should I do with the tank as I am restarting it over the fact that after 4 months of battling cyano It will not give up? Should I do a vinegar or bleach scrub for the tank and should I clean the equipment with bleach or vinegar. All livestock are in tubs. I am picking up 25 more pounds of sand since it is definitely needed not using or waiting a very long time to use liquid carbon, and giving the rock that brought the cyano in extra treatment. The tank is a 55. I have used Dr.Tims blackouts complete removal....... pretty much everything I can do. Current specs:

Marco-Aqua M-50 skimmer
1 480gph flow pump (adding another)
1 250gph flow pump
9w UV sterilizer (will be replaced as replacement bulbs aren't being sold anymore or at least I can't find them anywhere)
1 cheap Walmart hob filter (which is somehow still working)
150watt heater
parameters are at a healthy level

PH 8.9

nitrate: 1.0ppm
Phos .3ppm
calcium 500ppm
Temp: 80f
Calcium:
Alk: 13DKH

Note: (These were all taken a week or two before the teardown)

LiveStock:

1 Occelaris Clown
1 six line wrasse
1 lawnmower blenny
1 pink spotted sand sifting goby
1 Scopas Tang
3 nassarius snails
2 turbo snails
3 trochus snails

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your level of your Alk, Cal and PH look really high man, I would take a water sample to your LFS to confirm and see how the water is currently.

but I always use bleach to sterilize tanks and rock but just make sure to rich it all with some water and dechlorinator

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just tired of this stuff killing coral and making my tank look ugly.
Meant to say rince instead of rich but I'm sure you knew what I meant, but I definitely agree with JCM, what your doing is pretty extreme and unfortunately I hate to say it but I doubt it will be the fix you are looking for.

What all do you dose? Many trace elements like molybdenum can feed cyano

OP
OP
FishyThings

FishyThings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dosing everything besides small amounts of phyto and I started dosing doctor tims waste away and refresh
Meant to say rince instead of rich but I'm sure you knew what I meant, but I definitely agree with JCM, what your doing is pretty extreme and unfortunately I hate to say it but I doubt it will be the fix you are looking for.

What all do you dose? Many trace elements like molybdenum can feed cyano

OP
OP
FishyThings

FishyThings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far all I have done is emptied out the tank put all the livestock in tubs and the sunbleach+wash for rocks and just plain wash for sand I saved all bio-media and still haven't gotten to cleaning the equipment and tank.

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dosing everything besides small amounts of phyto and I started dosing doctor tims waste away and refresh
At this point the best thing I can recommend is to start dosing Brightwell Microbacter 7 and keep dosing it activity to build up more beneficial bacteria before the evil cyano can take over again

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not try Chemiclean? Seems like that would be an easier fix...and unfortunately, this is probably going to happen again. It's quite normal, for tanks to do this....I'd say a lot of people here, went through this also. I hate to see that you've worked this hard, only to go through it again.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back