Tank room humidity / ventilation / cooling

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Those of you with a dedicated tank room, such as a garage etc, how do you handle ventilation / humidity and cooling?

I’m planning a “hole through the wall” tank, where my tanks and sumps will be in my garage.

I was thinking simple extractor fans and a wall mounted air con. I’m not overly familiar with HVAC and all those things.

It’s quite a cool room, so chances of condensation is high.

Anyone any suggestions?

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,

Those of you with a dedicated tank room, such as a garage etc, how do you handle ventilation / humidity and cooling?

I’m planning a “hole through the wall” tank, where my tanks and sumps will be in my garage.

I was thinking simple extractor fans and a wall mounted air con. I’m not overly familiar with HVAC and all those things.

Anyone any suggestions?
Look into ac infinity’s humidistat controlled ventilation products if they are available in the UK. They are excellently made products.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Anyone any suggestions?
When you say garage - you're not planning on driving cars in and out with an open sump there?

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn the FAN to on, on my Heat/AC system for most of the Day, sometimes I forget about it and leave it to run with FAN ON all week but usually turn to Auto when I get home in the evening. This keeps the air in my house in constant circulation while I am work and since I keep tank and tank room in the basement this was the simplest way to make sure I have a steady supply of fresh air downstairs.

OP
OP
ReefPig

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn the FAN to on, on my Heat/AC system for most of the Day, sometimes I forget about it and leave it to run with FAN ON all week but usually turn to Auto when I get home in the evening. This keeps the air in my house in constant circulation while I am work and since I keep tank and tank room in the basement this was the simplest way to make sure I have a steady supply of fresh air downstairs.
Thanks very much. So you don’t have any extractor, just the recirculation with the AC fan?

Maybe I’m overthinking it all then.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 375 display in my living room with the holes in the wall to the garage for the filtration. My filtration is a total of about 400 gallons of water flowing in my garage ( 300 gallon sump, 50 gallon skimmer tank, 75 gallon frag tank, 75 gallon refugium). I have a window mount AC and a dehumidifier in there and that keeps everything at bay. The garage is also temp controlled by the house AC as well, but I don't think it really contributes that much to the space.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK if this would be a good option for you but I use an Air King exhaust fan in my fish room. I control it with a thermostat but a humidistat could just as easily be used.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back