tank set up idea, will it work?

Spitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, Ive been totally out of the hobby for ten years, a lot has changed. I had a 220 mixed reef with a 75 gallon sump set up. Work interfered to much with my routine maintenance so I tore it down. Lately the fever is starting to return....
I was thinking of setting up a smaller tank, perhaps the IM Nuvo marine ext lagoon 50gal, and running my 75 gal sump with it. The sump has a 2" return bulkhead in it. The main tank has a recommended flow rate 250 -500 gal. I would like to try a Neptune Dc pump with it, but I have some random questions about the set up:
1. Can I come out of the sump with 2" pipe, gate valve, y, dead-end one side of the y, then on the other side reduce down to 1 1/4" for the return pump?
2 .How much flow adjustment do these pumps have? (The cor 15 is rated for 1500gph, cor 20 for 2000gph).
3. Are the apex controllers worth the money?
Any input is much appreciated.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, Ive been totally out of the hobby for ten years, a lot has changed. I had a 220 mixed reef with a 75 gallon sump set up. Work interfered to much with my routine maintenance so I tore it down. Lately the fever is starting to return....
I was thinking of setting up a smaller tank, perhaps the IM Nuvo marine ext lagoon 50gal, and running my 75 gal sump with it. The sump has a 2" return bulkhead in it. The main tank has a recommended flow rate 250 -500 gal. I would like to try a Neptune Dc pump with it, but I have some random questions about the set up:
1. Can I come out of the sump with 2" pipe, gate valve, y, dead-end one side of the y, then on the other side reduce down to 1 1/4" for the return pump?
2 .How much flow adjustment do these pumps have? (The cor 15 is rated for 1500gph, cor 20 for 2000gph).
3. Are the apex controllers worth the money?
Any input is much appreciated.
Are you keeping the sump underneath the tank? I agree, 1 1/4 is a lot of pipe and return for a 50 gallon tank....you would have to reduce it down using either the gate valve or through the DC pump. I personally would use 1" pipe, using a reducer off of the pump. The Cor (and most DC pumps) can be adjusted to pretty much any flow that you need....from barely pushing any water at all to full strength. As far as the Apex, I will never run another tank without one. I could type for hours the amount of things you can do that aren't possible without a controller of some sort.

OP
OP
Spitty

Spitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was a bit unclear. I would have a 2" pipe coming from the sump to the 1 1/4" inlet of the pump. Pump outlet to the main tank is 3/4". I guess I was more concerned about the plumbing between the sump and pump. I want to put a y in there for possible frag tank in the future. the sump will be placed in the adjacent utility room.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back