Tank size decision

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I’m currently running a 6x2.5x2.5 feet sps dominated tank. Few days ago my wife decided it was a good idea to help clean my light covers with soap and the soap fell in to the tank and killed all my fishes + half my sps corals.

Rather than restock, I’ve decided to take the opportunity to upgrade to a bigger tank.

I’m deciding between upgrading to a 8x3x2.5 and 9x2.5x2.5. The 3 feet width will have a higher water volume. But was told 9 feet will require less thick glass. 12 mm glass for 9 feet and 15 mm glass for 8 feet.

Question is, which one will visually looks better? Need some help on deciding and pls offer as much reason behind. Thx

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages can give some insight on the glass and difference in viewing. My only thought would be to make sure that extra half foot of reach isn't going to be too much of a pain for you.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 foot for me…you are unlikely to see the benefit of having a wider width but will notice the extra length, plus the thinner glass.

Nice problem to have!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back