Tank size for blue hippo!

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 60.5" × 25.3" × 22.6" and i was wondering if my tank size suitable for a hippo? Its 150G. Whats your input

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tang police will always go bonkers on questions like these, but dimensions are only one part of the equation. how open/closed is your scape? how many spots can the fish hide and break line of sight from other fish? how much current will be in the tank to fight against? any other tangs or similar bodied fish?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tang police will always go bonkers on questions like these, but dimensions are only one part of the equation. how open/closed is your scape? how many spots can the fish hide and break line of sight from other fish? how much current will be in the tank to fight against? any other tangs or similar bodied fish?
The tang police, can see that im doing the right thing by providing my tanks size, and if its wrong i wont get it. I have an open scape, and theres a lot if hiding places and caves for the fish to hide. Got 2 mp40s running on the low/ 30% and 40%

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a doubt, my tank is very similar to yours. They do grow fast in there first year and then tend to slow down with age.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you'll be fine. I have a hippo that was smaller than a blue damsel when I got it. It was cute because the blue damsel was a yellow tail and they used to hang out together. She/he is 5-6 inches now and gets along great with the other 4 tangs in the tank.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think a hippopotamus will fit in that. Like, physically, it's not going to fit. You're going to need a fairly large pond, even for pygmy hippos.
(jk)

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put a blue hippo in a tank smaller than 6 feet. The general rule I go by is 4 feet for yellow, scopas, Kole, tomini, and 6 feet or more for everything else.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put a blue hippo in a tank smaller than 6 feet. The general rule I go by is 4 feet for yellow, scopas, Kole, tomini, and 6 feet or more for everything else.
There are no such general rules but opinions on how large an aquarium should be for an adult specimen. I've seen tangs out live there owners.

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the size of the fish.
I see them at my LFS the size of a dime, that would be fine... I kept 2 in my 120 Gal.
However they also were the main reason i upgraded to a 6 foot tank, as they do grow huge and will need the space to swim.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back