Tank Size suggestions for wall unit

Johnnyv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I wanted to get some feedback for a saltwater aquarium. Im building a unit on one of my walls and my space is limited. What is the best size for a small tank? I have a 29 gallon that will fit perfectly but was not sure if it was too small. The width and dept work as far as fitting in the wall so that I don't shut down the walkway. Ideally 30" wide is what I need. Originally I wanted a 65 but its just too wide for the area. I was also considering a 40 gallon but can find the right size. Also is it worth me drilling it out and getting the overflows myself?

I have 150 gallon, 55 and 30 gallon freshwater aquariums but this is my first saltwater.

Thanks,

Johnny

OP
OP
J

Johnnyv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a wall unit and wanted to incorporate a SW tank. My space is limited so Im looking to use something that is 30 inches wide with a minimum depth. it's in a walkway so I don't want it to stick out. I was thinking a 40 gallon (looking for the right size) and even a 29 gallon. Is 29 too small? I have 150 gal, 55 gal and 30 freshwater but this is my first SW tank. Thoughts?

Also is it worth me drilling out my 29 and adding the overflow or should I just buy another tank reef ready?

Thanks

Johnny

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a wall unit and wanted to incorporate a SW tank. My space is limited so Im looking to use something that is 30 inches wide with a minimum depth. it's in a walkway so I don't want it to stick out. I was thinking a 40 gallon (looking for the right size) and even a 29 gallon. Is 29 too small? I have 150 gal, 55 gal and 30 freshwater but this is my first SW tank. Thoughts?

Also is it worth me drilling out my 29 and adding the overflow or should I just buy another tank reef ready?

Thanks

Johnny
Well for me I started with a 55 and absolutely hate how narrow it is and upgraded to a 150 about 5 months into the hobby so for me I wish I woulda just started with the 150

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the exact dimensions, length and with that you have to work with? A tank sized that small you could actually go to a glass shop, have some glass cut and assemble one yourself. If you get non-tempered glass then you can drill it and install an over flow of your choice. What type of filtration system do you plan on running? Sump under the tank? Skimmer? Refugium? All different things to think about. Really when you think about it, you may have more options than you think. Let me know. I can offer some advise. I'm pretty good at building things.

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, i guess you could just list out what fishes and corals you'd like to keep, then deciding the size of tank. otherwise you'll get Tang Police message like I did :p:D;Dead

OP
OP
J

Johnnyv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the exact dimensions, length and with that you have to work with? A tank sized that small you could actually go to a glass shop, have some glass cut and assemble one yourself. If you get non-tempered glass then you can drill it and install an over flow of your choice. What type of filtration system do you plan on running? Sump under the tank? Skimmer? Refugium? All different things to think about. Really when you think about it, you may have more options than you think. Let me know. I can offer some advise. I'm pretty good at building things.
So I measured it out and the width and depth front to back is my issues. I need to be at 36 inches wide and 14 inches front to back (I know that is thin but deeper is gong to get walked into). After i read your post I remembered that I have a 150 gallon tank out back that i bought on a whim to reseal it. If i could cut that down to 36w x 14d x 27h I would have a 59 gallon tank. I've watched videos on how to build a tank, but never caulked one. Being it is going into a wall unit I can actually build a frame on the corners and top/bottom to support the tank itself. How hard is it to build a tank if I have the glass cut?

As far as a filtration, I was going to use a sump at the bottom with a corner overflow. Then add the in tank protein skimmer. Essentially a copy of my 150 gal freshwater. I have a 55 gallon sump in the bottom and it works fantastic. I think Ill be putting rock in this tank and fish. I'm not planning on corals. Might be a better route being saltwater is new to me.

So how hard is it to build a tank?

OP
OP
J

Johnnyv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I measured it out and the width and depth front to back is my issues. I need to be at 36 inches wide and 14 inches front to back (I know that is thin but deeper is gong to get walked into). After i read your post I remembered that I have a 150 gallon tank out back that i bought on a whim to reseal it. If i could cut that down to 36w x 14d x 27h I would have a 59 gallon tank. I've watched videos on how to build a tank, but never caulked one. Being it is going into a wall unit I can actually build a frame on the corners and top/bottom to support the tank itself. How hard is it to build a tank if I have the glass cut?

As far as a filtration, I was going to use a sump at the bottom with a corner overflow. Then add the in tank protein skimmer. Essentially a copy of my 150 gal freshwater. I have a 55 gallon sump in the bottom and it works fantastic. I think Ill be putting rock in this tank and fish. I'm not planning on corals. Might be a better route being saltwater is new to me.

So how hard is it to build a tank?
Also what kind of silicone would I use? Does it have to be Aqueon Fish Tank Silicone? I see people using GE clear silicone window and door. I know there is a difference in some silicone as far as fish tank safe.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back