Recommended distance between tank and wall?

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the general recommendation for the distance between wall and tank?

I'm being offered an 80 gal rimless that's 30 x 30. The space in mind is a corner by a pantry wall that's 38 1/2 wide. Wasn't able to get specific measurements on the stand dimensions- have yet to see the setup in person so that's a question mark besides the stand has a raised edge- guessing to broadly assume extra 4" making it 34-35" ish wide overall.

Curious if I should even entertain the thought of heading out to take a look at the setup or that's not advised? I understand extra space is necessary for the rear as for the piping and whatnot which is no problem. The main issue is the side wall, how far/close can the tank be without potential issues? Particularly as it's a rimless tank- never had one of those before.

I can have the setup at whatever distance as recommended from the pantry wall(the rear of tank will be facing this wall), no problem. There is not much room to move away from the other wall though. As in "to the back or front" movement is no problem, but pretty much almost no "to the left or to the right" movement along the 38 1/2" pantry wall width if that makes sense. It does seem to be a pretty tight fit but am awfully tempted at a chance of upgrading from a 29 gal...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an in wall 90g that I installed in a closet in the adjoining room to my living room. There's barely any side gap at all and only access from the back side.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm being offered an 80 gal rimless that's 30 x 30. The space in mind is a corner by a pantry wall that's 38 1/2 wide. Wasn't able to get specific measurements on the stand dimensions- have yet to see the setup in person so that's a question mark besides the stand has a raised edge- guessing to broadly assume extra 4" making it 34-35" ish wide overall.

Curious if I should even entertain the thought of heading out to take a look at the setup or that's not advised? I understand extra space is necessary for the rear as for the piping and whatnot which is no problem. The main issue is the side wall, how far/close can the tank be without potential issues? Particularly as it's a rimless tank- never had one of those before.

I can have the setup at whatever distance as recommended from the pantry wall(the rear of tank will be facing this wall), no problem. There is not much room to move away from the other wall though. As in "to the back or front" movement is no problem, but pretty much almost no "to the left or to the right" movement along the 38 1/2" pantry wall width if that makes sense. It does seem to be a pretty tight fit but am awfully tempted at a chance of upgrading from a 29 gal...
If it were me, would want to go take a look at it in person. Not just to see if it will fit the space I have in mind, but to see if it is really worth the effort it will involve.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thought is IF you get fish that splash @ the surface you will get problems with that wall
in the long run.
Yeah, something like this I was wondering about. Along with splash from general things such as maintenance, wavemakers or ?? plus potential humidity issues from being so close to a wall with it being a rimless tank(as far as I know, no brace- is that something to worry over an older used tank?) with a large surface area.

I do want to make sure I'll be able to reach between the wall and tank on that side, right..?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I consider any components that hang off the back, access to magnets from power heads and Mouldings on floor and wall. Average is 4-5"

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, would want to go take a look at it in person. Not just to see if it will fit the space I have in mind, but to see if it is really worth the effort it will involve.

I can see that point. Thing is, it's bit of a drive.. was thinking if this idea was ill advised, it'd be best not to make the trip at all.

By the way- could I ask what would you look/check for in an used tank? To my understanding, it's already empty and sitting in a garage. 80 gal display, 30 gal sump and stand. Apparently doesn't leak or have any other known issues.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider any components that hang off the back, access to magnets from power heads and Mouldings on floor and wall. Average is 4-5"

Excellent points. Had not considered that. Definitely need to make sure there's enough room for my arm to reach between the wall and tank in case magnetic powerheads or ?? need to go on that side.

Based on this.. would you personally at least go check out this setup? It's being offered to me for what seems to be an extremely reasonable price, to be fair have yet to see it in person.. Let's go with total width of 35" for a 38 1/2" corner space? Front to back space/rear of tank facing the pantry wall is not an issue, only the width that's a concern.

I *am* having a hard time visualizing how it will look in the space, to be honest, largely due to not having a setup this big before.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it a Red Sea?

Oooh.. good question. I don't have that information. Red Sea is generally considered a risky bet, correct? Even for this size- 80 gallon rimless cube? I've read of what seems to be a lot of issues with the big long style tanks.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh.. good question. I don't have that information. Red Sea is generally considered a risky bet, correct? Even for this size- 80 gallon rimless cube? I've read of what seems to be a lot of issues with the big long style tanks.
not many people trust old Red Sea tanks. lots of seam failures.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Excellent points. Had not considered that. Definitely need to make sure there's enough room for my arm to reach between the wall and tank in case magnetic powerheads or ?? need to go on that side.

Based on this.. would you personally at least go check out this setup? It's being offered to me for what seems to be an extremely reasonable price, to be fair have yet to see it in person.. Let's go with total width of 35" for a 38 1/2" corner space? Front to back space/rear of tank facing the pantry wall is not an issue, only the width that's a concern.

I *am* having a hard time visualizing how it will look in the space, to be honest, largely due to not having a setup this big before.
i would see it and assure it does not leak and view the condition of the tank and equipment and look for sign/stains on the floor for past leaks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How good is this "offer?" If it's free, or nickles on the dollar or has extra equipment you can use on another box then perhaps collect the tank, see if it fits and trade it/sell it and keep the useful equipment (if any).

That's how I got my wife.

Not really, but it was fun to type. Always best to plan well to avoid pitfalls. Post a picture if you get it, or when you get something for that space. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a big box that size and place it where you want it to go. then drop something behind it and try and get it ;-) once you place it there, it will be there for a long time. going to be over 1000 pounds sitting there. I have an EXT and stand sits 9" from wall. I would not have liked having mine any closer than it is. I have 18" on both sides and it's in an open area. it's on my build thread.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need 4-6" and I would lean toward 6" to avoid problems later on.

Yes that is honest. Pretty much what has got me excited is the cube shape working the best for the area plus being the largest one for easily the cheapest I'd seen so far. Everybody says to get as many gallons as you can. After practicing with a long narrow 29 gal, I certainly can see the appeal of a larger tank..

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How good is this "offer?" If it's free, or nickles on the dollar or has extra equipment you can use on another box then perhaps collect the tank, see if it fits and trade it/sell it and keep the useful equipment (if any).

That's how I got my wife.

Not really, but it was fun to type. Always best to plan well to avoid pitfalls. Post a picture if you get it, or when you get something for that space. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Funny!

To the point- it is one of the lowest priced setups I've come across, especially considering size. 80 gal, 30 gal sump and stand is it I think. Something like 50 gal cube with stand, no sump go at least for twice than this offer. I really love the idea of having more space for corals. Only have a picture showing mostly the display tank, a bit of the stand and nothing of the sump though.. the claim is no leaks or known issues..

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that point. Thing is, it's bit of a drive.. was thinking if this idea was ill advised, it'd be best not to make the trip at all.

By the way- could I ask what would you look/check for in an used tank? To my understanding, it's already empty and sitting in a garage. 80 gal display, 30 gal sump and stand. Apparently doesn't leak or have any other known issues.
None of them leak when they're sitting empty in a garage :cool:

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a big box that size and place it where you want it to go. then drop something behind it and try and get it ;-) once you place it there, it will be there for a long time. going to be over 1000 pounds sitting there. I have an EXT and stand sits 9" from wall. I would not have liked having mine any closer than it is. I have 18" on both sides and it's in an open area. it's on my build thread.

Excellent idea!! Off to look for a box or something as close to it in size, thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back