Recommended distance between tank and wall?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to use a magnetic scraper to clean the glass, you’ll want however much space you need to comfortably get your arm back there, other than that, any distance should be good.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of them leak when they''re sitting empty in a garage :cool:

Brutal but honest! I did secretly wonder about that... would it be rude to ask them to fill it up with hose water? That would not be too good at detecting slow leaks though?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brutal but honest! I did secretly wonder about that... would it be rude to ask them to fill it up with hose water? That would not be too good at detecting slow leaks though?
To be honest I've never bought a second hand tank.

I just don't think it's worth the risk. Divorces are costly.

You don't know the history of the tank, and there are some folks who maliciously sell dodgy stuff.

I have bought plenty of second hand equipment to go in the tank.
If that breaks it's no big deal, but a leaking tank is a whole different level of pain.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When buying a car would you want to see the motor running?
Yup, ask if they will and pass if they won't, unless they have a really good reason for not jumping the motor, putting in gas, and oil, etc. Ask before you go take a look.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I've never bought a second hand tank.

I just don't think it's worth the risk. Divorces are costly.

You don't know the history of the tank, and there are some folks who maliciously sell dodgy stuff.

I have bought plenty of second hand equipment to go in the tank.
If that breaks it's no big deal, but a leaking tank is a whole different level of pain.

Single here.. ha!

It appears the person is pretty much clearing out of 'everything'- there is another tank available but I've no interest in it.

The thing is, massive difference in price. I'm assuming this same setup would be 1k plus brand new versus a couple hundred. The stand is wooden, not the filmsy stuff so many of the new setups seem to come with. I do see your point though.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put up an IM 100Ext and I put it like 5” from the wall. You have to be able to access everything from every angle. If you don’t, you’ll have something happen and you won’t be able to. Running cables and such is also easier a little off the wall.
Was hoping to have all that stuff located inside the stand and in rear of the setup. I can easily put 6+ inches between the setup and the pantry wall which would be the back side.

It's the other wall that's a concern- corner location. Or am I missing something here? Easily possible as I've not had a tank this size before. Noted there needs to be some arm space for magnetic equipment plus if using magnetic glass cleaners though.

The overall message seems to be "oo boy that's a tight fit".. I do get that.. if it were 3 inches shorter in width I'd probably have gone to look at it already.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a list of everything that is included? You know, skimmer, pumps, ATO, lights, etc. If not, get one.

I believe I read that you only have a picture of the empty tank with a little bit of the stand. That's not enough. Ask the seller for photos of everything, you know, all laid out and close ups so you can see the condition. Pics of the stand, inside and out. That shouldn't be too much to ask the seller to do.

You can post all that info here if you want opinions. If the equipment alone is worth the price, go look at it, and make sure all the electric stuff works. Bring it all home and leak test. If the display leaks, well, you still have the value of the other equipment and only need a tank to fit on the stand. If the sump leaks, go to Petco and get an Aqueon that fits the stand and make a sump from that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back