Tank Stand build Plans (29 tank and 29sump)

TimKosel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a link to build plans for a 29 tank and 29 sump? I am probably going to just build a frame out of 2x4s but I do want to make sure it is strong enough.

Any advice would be appreciated, I am trying to move my 20L reef into its new home. Thanks!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have a few guys here that are really good at building stands (and maybe even an article in our articles section). At that size, it shouldn't be too difficult since your not talking about a ton of water. #reefsquad

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2"x4"'s are overkill for a stand that size. You can gain more room under the stand if you build it out of plywood. Of course, there is nothing wrong with using 2"x4"'s if that is what you prefer.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree 2x4's are over kill and you can simply use plywood and be fine. You will thank yourself for the additional room underneath.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest drawing something out so we can get a grasp of what you are thinking, and we can help you more. Also list the tools that you have to work with.
for example miter saw, drill, skill saw. Then we can also recommend a plan, how to build and out of what material.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in agreement that 2 x 4's are way overkill. I'm currently building a stand for a 35 cube and using paneled sides with 1 x 3 verticals.

Stand 170728.jpg

Here's another thought....that would be more than strong enough for a 29 gallon tank.....still use the conventional plan for a 2 x 4 stand:

Stand.jpg

BUT, instead of using 2 x 4's, use 1 x 3 boards. You can buy these at HD....I think I paid somewhere around $10 for 16 foot lengths. This would give you a little more room for a sump / equipment.

OP
OP
TimKosel

TimKosel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1388.JPG

Here is what I ended up with, wanted to over build because, well just peace of mind I guess. Plus I had all this wood left over from remodeling my basement. I'm definitely not a carpenter and can see my mistakes, but I think after finishing it (wrapping it somehow) this will disappear.
IMG_1390.JPG

OP
OP
TimKosel

TimKosel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next up is building the light fixture. I have these components to build around the LEDs that sit on top of the tank currently.
d1a2aae8c6f54fe7b24a423e89b47c4b.jpg

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am about to build a stand for my 29 gallon nano that I currently just hanging out with 2 clowns and a few snails in it. I would like to put a sump in it so thus thread was a godsend for me actually. My question is this.. do you really think that 1×3 will provide enough support? I kinda think the same way as the OP as far as wanting to be sure it is stable. Have any of you guys used the 1×3 to frame your stand prior to putting the plywood on it?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back