OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about inverts? I listed the ones I have. I was wondering what some cool and somewhat easy inverts I could get. I was thinking about getting an anemone, cleaner shrimp, some more snails + conch, more hermits, a serpent star, and maybe some photosynthetic gorgonians and sponges, a peppermint shrimp, an urchin, and macroalgae.

As said before, I want to have as diverse a tank as I can for my size limitations. Any recommendations on the stock I should get as well as care for them would be immensely helpful!! Thank you!!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my skunk cleaner shrimps , always out and about and clean my hands when they are in the tank. I’ve had just about every other one but they have been a little more reclusive. As you can see by my avatar, I’m a big fan of my tuxedo urchin by far the best cuc in my tank, nothing mows down algae like it. I have micro brittle stars but might not be your thing as you only see their little arms sticking out of the rocks. My go to for hermits are the dwarf red and blue legged hermits. They have never bothered a snail ( I do keep plenty of empty shells scattered around). You might like the Halloween hermit, very cool looking, but they only use conch shells and may be risky for your current and future conch. Other than the snails you mentioned, other good snails are turbos, trochus, ninja stars and ceriths. If I had a choice between a serpent star or a brittle star, I would choose the brittle star.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my skunk cleaner shrimps , always out and about and clean my hands when they are in the tank. I’ve had just about every other one but they have been a little more reclusive. As you can see by my avatar, I’m a big fan of my tuxedo urchin by far the best cuc in my tank, nothing mows down algae like it. I have micro brittle stars but might not be your thing as you only see their little arms sticking out of the rocks. My go to for hermits are the dwarf red and blue legged hermits. They have never bothered a snail ( I do keep plenty of empty shells scattered around). You might like the Halloween hermit, very cool looking, but they only use conch shells and may be risky for your current and future conch. Other than the snails you mentioned, other good snails are turbos, trochus, ninja stars and ceriths. If I had a choice between a serpent star or a brittle star, I would choose the brittle star.
Awesome thank you so much!! This is immensely helpful!! would a tuxedo urchin be okay in my tank? I could feed it algae. I am actually really interested in the micro brittle star. Would all of these inverts need extra feeding?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you so much!! This is immensely helpful!! would a tuxedo urchin be okay in my tank? I could feed it algae. I am actually really interested in the micro brittle star. Would all of these inverts need extra feeding?
Ya, I have my urchin in a 32g, if needed you could supplement by rubber banding nori to a piece of rock. In the almost 2 years I’ve had mine I’ve done it a couple times out of precaution, but there always seems to be enough food in the tank. The micro brittle starfish just grab food out of the water column, no need to feed. I bought mine from a member on here who breeds and sells them. It was so long ago I don’t remember the name. You could always start a thread asking who sells micro brittle starfish.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new QT is fully cycled and ready for fish. I was thinking about picking up a tailspin blenny and a 6-line wrasse. I have a 12.5-gallon QT. As an update, I have a 32.5-gallon mixed reef and currently have 2 clowns, a yasha goby, a royal gramma, a bangaii cardinal fish, a peppermint and cleaner shrimp, corals, snails, and hermits. Is there any reason I shouldn't get the blenny and wrasse? I also wanted to make sure they wouldn't fight if put in the QT together. Thank you!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new QT is fully cycled and ready for fish. I was thinking about picking up a tailspin blenny and a 6-line wrasse. I have a 12.5-gallon QT. As an update, I have a 32.5-gallon mixed reef and currently have 2 clowns, a yasha goby, a royal gramma, a bangaii cardinal fish, a peppermint and cleaner shrimp, corals, snails, and hermits. Is there any reason I shouldn't get the blenny and wrasse? I also wanted to make sure they wouldn't fight if put in the QT together. Thank you!
I currently have similar stocking in 32 gallon. 2 clowns, royal gramma, sixline wrasse, diamond watchman goby, yellow tailed damsel and a tailspot blenny.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have similar stocking in 32 gallon. 2 clowns, royal gramma, sixline wrasse, diamond watchman goby, yellow tailed damsel and a tailspot blenny.
If I add anything else it will definitely be the yellow tailed damsel. Good stock choice! I love diamond gobies! Do you think it’s a good idea then?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I add anything else it will definitely be the yellow tailed damsel. Good stock choice! I love diamond gobies! Do you think it’s a good idea then?
How old is your tank? You’ll need to have an established sand bed to support the goby. 5-6 months. But I see no problems. Here is a pic with 6 of the fish before adding my tailspot blenny.
034D0164-A25A-48DE-A5CA-0FA2773783B1.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? You’ll need to have an established sand bed to support the goby. 5-6 months. But I see no problems. Here is a pic with 6 of the fish before adding my tailspot blenny.
034D0164-A25A-48DE-A5CA-0FA2773783B1.jpeg
Mine is 2.5 years old. I wasn’t planning on getting another diamond goby. I meant do you think getting a wrasse and goby. Sorry

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 2.5 years old. I wasn’t planning on getting another diamond goby. I meant do you think getting a wrasse and goby. Sorry
Ya, I think the wrasse and goby would be fine. It’s a Biocube. Good luck and happy reefing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back